View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
superflysocal
Regular 'Geeker

superflysocal is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problem with GPS locking with TomTom 7

I have been trying to use tom tom 7 with the Sprint TP and can't get it to work reliably.

I installed 7.450.9028 with no issues. I have the proper map and everything loads up fine. However, I can hardly ever get a GPS lock. I have tried both Built in GPS device and "other NMEA device" (com4, 4800 baud). I have checked the External GPS settings on my device (com 4, 4800, manage GPS automatically).

What happens is that when I go to GPS settings in tomtom, i can see 3-6 satellites with decent signal but none them lock. sometimes I get no satellite whatsoever. This goes on for the whole 25 minute drive home.

The thing is, if i use live search, gps lock is almost instantaneous. With amAzeGPS, i also get a fairly quick lock. Just TomTom.

I did the hacks from this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=427888
I never tried TomTom before doing the hacks so not sure if it is the hacks or not.

This is really annoying that I'm getting a lock only once in a very blue moon (and even then it will lose the lock).

I'm using stock sprint Rom, btw, and don't really want to try anything else otherwise.