View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 12:08 AM
xtreme3881
Lurker

xtreme3881 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question (CLOSED) Questions to various things??

Well I just like to say I think this site is setup really nice. As you can tell I am a new user to this site! So I have been reading A LOT on how to do many things with my new Sprint HTC Touch Pro. As you can imagine I have a few questions, and before anyone jumps on my post and say that I need to learn how to search I will flip....haha...jk...but really I do a lot of searching before I ask questions trust me. Maybe I don’t know the correct wording to use in Google or on the forum pages, but I do search!! OK, with that out of the way here are my questions...

I keep it really simple and hope you can do the same. If you have a link make sure it directly answers my question so that I am not pointed in the wrong direction. I don’t think it should be a problem since these are pretty much one word answers.

1. What does SPL mean? (Google = What does SPL mean on Windows mobile)

SPL means Secondary Program Loader. (Credit Nimdock)

2. When I unlock my phone to what does HSPL do? I mean I know what it does with outcome, but more technical what does it do. For me all I know is HSPL .37 unlocks for MY phone (Sprint). Is it just an emulator? Found this great link but just tells about what to do. Click Here

2. The SPL is where everything gets started and booted, kind of like the BIOS in a PC. HSPL is what allows you to flash roms by taking you into bootloader mode even when you kind of brick your phone, hehehe. (Credit Nimdock)

3. OK, let’s take MightyMike's ROM for example....In his ROM he has a lot of built in apps like, MP3 Trimmer. You can clearly see that it’s installed and in the windows/program files location. So that leads me to believe that it’s installed built into the ROM and CANT be uninstalled. So if it’s not listed in "Programs in storage memory" then more than likely its built into the ROM correct?

3. Yes, if it is there from before it is built in and you won't see in in Remove Programs. (Credit Nimdock)

4. You unlock your phone and then it needs to go in for warranty. No problem load Sprint Stock ROM back and then LOCK. Question is once I locked the phone I go into the bootloader (AFTER ITS BEEN LOCKED AGAIN) and at the top it says Security unlocked. So question is as long as I don’t see CMONEX anywhere on the bootloader I am good? Reason I ask is because when it’s unlocked I placed the stock ROM back on (Image Version: 1.03.651.4) and when I go to lock it again loader say it will take it back to 37 Only link I found about this so far. I just want to make SURE I am G2G.

4. The bootloader will ALWAYS write unlocked on top, my mogul which has never been unlocked has always said unlocked and same with my touch pro when it came new out of the box. As long as it returns to numbers instead of CMONEX, it is back to being locked. (Credit u8myfoood)

5. Why do people build ROMS with software on it, as example before like MP3 Trimmer? Is there any special reason for it? Or do they just do it for simplicity like Norton ghost? Main question is why don’t you just load WM6.1 fresh only with the basic HTC software functions and add 3rd party software later? (This one should be easy for you experts..hehe)

5. There are some minimal roms out there. People build roms with a few applications, middle ground and some loaded ones. It's up to the chef. They do it for convenience because there are some applications that everyone seems to use. Besides, keep in mind that usually roms are custom made for their creator and they just want to share it with the world. (Credit Nimdock)

6. LAST QUESTION I PROMISE...I agree (like most of you) that the only way to learn anything is to do it yourself and not just take other peoples ROMS. Not saying none of them are good because they all are! I just feel that to get any true understanding of how something works I need to play with it myself...Ok that didn’t sound good..ha...Soooo since I have a SPRINT HTC Touch Pro and want to use PPC Kitchen to build my own ROM here is my question.

I found this link Click Here. So what that is telling me is when I first start my build project I should select ONLY Herman from the Select New Project list? Just wanted to make sure I read that link correctly. So Raphael,Apache, Kaiser, Titan, Victor, and Vogue DONT apply to me correct? Last but not least I don’t think the HTC Touch Pro is QVGA so based on the latest build 20931_4409 i should select that with VGA?

6. You have an CDMA HTC Touch Pro, so yes, you are Herman. And yes, it is VGA. (Credit Nimdock)

Thanks again in advance for reading my FIRST post and can’t wait for your expert answers. Hey look at the bright side I could be asking you about what software is the best...haha!

Last edited by xtreme3881; 02-21-2009 at 02:29 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.