Thread: "Web pad" ROM
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
gguruusa
Deep Thinker

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Web pad" ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halr9000 View Post
I have an old PPC-6700 I had used with Sprint for over three years. It served me well, but I have moved on to newer goodies. However, I think the device could still be useful as a little wifi web browser. I no longer have a carrier subscription for it. Now for the question.

Has anyone ever made or considered making a ROM that's "gimped" as far as a phone would be concerned, perhaps even limited PIM tools, but the end result would be that you are left with a ton of free RAM which will help the anemic Apache load up graphics heavy webpages with Flash plugins and all that?

I've cooked my own ROMs before with the help of BuidOS, but only at the sort of "next/next/next/finish" level of expertise. I don't know what all is safe to cut and still be left with a bootable OS.
yes, and it has been done. Doesn't make the device materially faster, but it does free up some RAM.