Edward
FSarah
FSteve
FJacob
Linda
ZTyler
ZKevin
ZFrank

This is so I can quickly select all "A" (AJoe, AMegan, ATom) and message them. They could all be friends for a party. This way I don't have to go through my massive contact list (500+).

All Fs are employees. I need to send them something I can send all Zs one message and they are all grouped together.

All Zs are acquaintances. And I do not want to send these people a text message ever. But I still want them on my phone.

I want something so I dont have to type a letter in front cause I end up having some problems. Like mixed in my Fs. I'll get a regular Frank. Plus it's hard memorizing what letter is in front of each user. Some people I want two letters in front (like F and A) and it gets really confusing. And I have to change all As to AAA because I'll get people like Aaron (which is how to spell the name and I don't want this person mixed in with Friends).
I really don't use messenging much on phone so i dont know how that is. But if you can locate a copy of outlook 2007, take a look at Categories, it works great on my phone for seperating people into groups, so i have an idea it should do what you want.