View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Darkjedi
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best DIY Video Cable! (Best $3.50 You've Ever Spent!)

OK, I know there are like 5 other DIY Video cable threads, but I promise you this is the easiest/simplest one. I've consolidated all the information necessary as it needn't be more complicated than it ought to be. It requires no cutting, no opening up of the little box, no clipping of pins. For these reasons this hack is the most easily reversible one, should you ever decide to use it as a headphone adapter again.

//according to chronster, the headphone capability should still work with the tape on and transmit audio, but the phone just won't be able to tell that its a headset. Some programs like Audio Booster require the phone to detect a headset to work. If you don't require headset detect, then leaving the tape on should theoretically have no real detrimental effect, but I have yet to test this personally.

Required Items
- HTC USB Multi-Adapter
- 3.5mm AV Cable (iPod or Camcorder)
- Tape

Like many of the other ones you use the included USB adapter with the 2.5, 3.5, PC/AC USB, and headphone USB slots.

You also need a camcorder/ipod 3.5mm AV cable that comes with the yellow, red, white composite cables. The one I got was 3.50$ on amazon including shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Audio-...4067245&sr=8-1 thanks to akastixx for finding these!). Of course you might even have one laying around.

You can use this chart to see if your camcorder/zune/ipod AV cable can work (for those using the camcorder one, you just need to swap the red audio cable with the yellow video cable when you plug it into the TV). For reference the one I have is the iPod Video cable, I don't know whether the right/left is switched for my cable but when I find out I will update you guys. Credit to stroths for finding this picture.

The "Hack"

Now unlike the other 'hacks', all you need to do for this one is use tape! Thats right, just normal ol' scotch tape or electricians tape. I don't have electrician tape lying around, so I had to settle with scotch tape that I double layered. I cut about a 1mm slice and using a precision flathead screwdriver guided it over the 4th pin on the USB. I would probably recommend electricians tape over scotch since, scotch doesn't seem as sturdy, but this sliver of tape has lasted me through a dozen or so plug-ins and plug-outs. Even if it breaks its not too terrible to make a new one.

Credit to pzztgotbagz for this picture and the original hack.

Proof of Concept
Here it is in action, looks pretty nice and a job well done for $3.50

I'm not sure how the HTC one works, but one of the great perks of this one is that you can charge while playing videos on the screen!

By the way a couple notes to add. The screen on the phone is of 4:3 aspect ratio, most HDTVs are 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratios, meaning if you play videos without adjusting the settings of your HDTV, they are going to look stretched and funky. In the picture displayed above, I haven't made the adjustment yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.jpg (47.2 KB, 153 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg IMG_0191.jpg (44.6 KB, 85 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.jpg (38.9 KB, 76 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg IMG_0193.jpg (40.1 KB, 78 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg DSC_1225.jpg (90.8 KB, 98 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-09-2009 at 02:00 PM.
This post has been thanked 39 times.