View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 PM
AndyCR512
PPCGeeks Regular

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How do you disconnect from you PC when active synced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbenz2008 View Post
Yank that cord while the pc/laptop is still reading or writing and there is a good chance the card gets messed up, it is just common sense.
In disk mode, yes. In ActiveSync, not necessarily. The phone is controlling the data being written to the card, not the computer, at that point. The phone could easily keep track of what sectors it had written, and if the cord is unlugged before it's completed ActiveSync in the phone could simply delete the data written, since it is incomplete. The slowness of AS file transfers suggests it is indeed doing something to the data, so I imagine this is the case.

It certainly can't hurt to sleep the phone before unplugging, but I very highly doubt it can cause corruption unless the phone is in USB mass storage mode.

Think of it this way - ActiveSync in many ways is more akin to network transfer than it is to direct USB mass storage writing. Would transferring part of a file over a network and then stopping result in damage to other data on the disk? No, and in most cases, the application doing the downloading would simply delete the file once it realized it failed. ActiveSync is the same way, unless I'm very mistaken.

Last edited by AndyCR512; 02-06-2009 at 12:03 AM.