View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 AM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Can anyone explain why the battery overlheats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh View Post
Wow, awesome. This is the first I've seen anyone attempt to explain what's going on!

Okay, so the processing is obviously causing a lot of heat to be generated and the battery is kinda absorbing this heat.

So it makes sense, then, when other people suggest to open the keyboard and/or take off the back cover of the phone while using the phone heavily. That's kinda silly that they designed a phone that doesn't dissipate the heat well.

There's no way to use the phone at all without the battery? Is this just the way the hardware is built or is it a software decision?

With my laptop, I can completely take the battery out of the case and use the laptop just fine. Shouldn't this phone work that way too or is it like this by design because of the 1 amp max charge?
Taking off the back cover makes a HUGE difference. In fact, next time it overheats and stops charging... take off the back cover and blow on the top part of the phone, around the camera. It only takes me one deep breath over like 20 seconds blowing on it to cool it enough to start charging again. Part of the reason the back cover doesn't transmit heat well though is by design, if it did, I could imagine the phone almost becoming too hot to touch in that area. Personally, that's a trade-off I'd take.

The phone not starting without the battery is a hardware issue, I'm afraid. I'm sure the battery completes a circuit. You could probably jump a couple of the pins on the phone's battery connector and have it start but PLEASE PLEASE do not do that, you'll most likely kill your phone, not to mention expose yourself to a potentially lethal 1 amp of power. (Keep in mind, with everything, it only takes 30-50ma traveling past your heart to stop it -- and there's 1000ma to 1 amp). I'm guessing that the battery required to be in is by design and not accidental, because of the power the phone can draw. My last phone (Helio Ocean) could run without the battery. If you took it out while it was running, it restarted. Same if you put it back in. I thought that was strange and unnecessary since it was connected to the wall at all times, but oh well. It's possible in other devices but it seems as HTC has chosen it to be this way.