View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[TUT] Creating OEM's for your ROM

This tutorial is designed to teach you the method I use to make simple OEM's.

Not all .cabs can be made into OEM's. Some will need some advanced trickery. This thread will be open to discussing that advanced trickery. I will answer any questions that arise, and other members can share their experiences/knowledge as well.

Not all topics are going to be added to this initial release, but I will add them with time, So check back later for more details!

Insert bold colored disclaimer here about how it is not my fault
if you mess up your phone o
r lose sleep after reading this tutorial...

Thanks go's out to:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- Ervius @ xda. It's his program
- PPCGeeks.com users. I've learned most everything here and can't list everyone.

Misc. Stuff
- For this Tutorial, Ervius's Package Creator will be reffered to as EPC.
- Here are some links to some other tutorials that may be helpfull when making OEM's:

Prerequisite Reading, Recommended...
Tutorial: Adding Registry Entries to your Rom (RGU Method) - Helpfull for learning the RGU structure
Customizing Your Rom: Adding Personal Files & Other Stuff - Helpfull information on the initflashfiles.txt file.

What is an OEM?
An OEM... It's a package that Rom Chef's use to install files into a Rom. once a Rom is flashed, .cab files are installed. Cab files are converted to an OEM so those programs can be installed into a rom. Not a good definition, but it'll do.

Files inside an OEM, What are they?:
{guid}.DSM - I don't know the contents, I don't care, never needed them, so who cares what it contains? It's just gotta be there...
{guid}.RGU - This file contains the registry entries for your OEM
initflashfiles.txt - This file copies your files to where they need to be when winmo starts.
option.xml - This file is needed by BuildOS. Specifies the Name, GUID, BuildOS description, other OEM requirements, etc...

Everything else should be from your .cab file

Prepare your HDD
By this I mean, download the attachments. Here is a look at my directory structure looks like on my harddrive where I prepare my OEM's:
..\oem_requests
..\oem_requests\vga_oems
..\oem_requests\regular_oems
..\oem_requests\ervius package creator
..\oem_requests\a_c

When you are doing OEM's, EPC will create your oem's directory directly off of where your input cab was. So I would place my cab files in the appropriate directory.

So decide how you want to do it, make your directories, unarchive the attached EPC, and copy the attached Kevtris.cab to your new OEM directory. Once you've got that done, here is a walkthrough of making an OEM out of kevtris.cab

Let's build a simple OEM from Kevtris.cab:
1. Open Ervias's Package Creator 5.4

2. Click the "Open Cab File" button bottom left

3. Select your .cab file and click "Open"
(This will open your .cab with a program called "WinCE CABs Analyzer" program)

4. On the top row, Click the 7th icon from the left. When you roll your cursor over it, it will say "Extract CAB Files with original name in folder". This will open a directory selection window, DO NOT CHANGE THIS, I ALWAYS just click the "OK" button

5. Once this is done, you can exit WinCE CABs Analyzer simply by clicking the "Red X" in the top right corner.

6. This will take you back to EPC to the initflashfiles tab. This where you create your start menu shortcuts. For this example, click kevtris.exe in the window, select the Games button, and then click apply. You should see that it created/added Kevtris.lnk.
Click the "Done" button on the left, this will take you back to the main screen.

7. Here, click "Complete Package" and the program will tell you that you are Done, and you are.

Now back to your File Explorer, you will notice that a new directory was made where the original .cab file was, this is your OEM. Copy to your kitchens ..\kitchen\OEM folder and enjoy. If you are using PPCKitchen.orgs kitchen, copy the OEM into your ..\USeR_OEM folder and restart BuildOS.
I've included a basic .cab file and it's finished OEM. Here are a few notes on this one.
- This contains a SetupDLL.dll file... You know how when you install some cAB's they prompt you for your language, screen resolution, unzips files (weatherpanel), etc??? This file is responsible for this. Now while this one does nothing, I always delete them. You will have to figure out what it does and manually adjust your OEM to compensate. Each one will be different and will come to you with experience.

Figure 1: Screen shot of Main Screen w/correct options selected.

Figure 2: Screen shot of WinCE CAB Analyzer and location of the 7th Icon

Figure 3: Screen shot of the initflashfiles tab

Attached Files
File Type: zip OEM_Package_Creator_v5.4.zip (690.4 KB, 521 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip OEM_Kevtris.zip (519.1 KB, 179 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: cab Kevtris.CAB (744.6 KB, 155 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 01-02-2009 at 09:25 AM.
This post has been thanked 33 times.