View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 AM
dnode
Lurker

dnode is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro and Windows Live: GPS?

I recently bought the Fuze and had been dealing with the slow GPS lock-ons, programs like Google Maps and Live Search not being able to initialize it, etc. What I have found is that the default setting of COM4 is causing these problems for me.

Changing the COM port in the External GPS setting fixed my issue. I'm using COM9 now and it is definitely faster, but I always have to use GPS Test to get the GPS running before using Google Maps or Live Search. But it's better than it not working at all, so here's what I had to do:

1. Start with COM1.

2. Get the GPS Test program, set the GPS setting to AUTO detect which COM port your GPS is using and let it find it.
a. If it finds it, it will initialize and start looking for satellites. Time it to see how fast it takes to get the GPS fully running with 8 satellites.
b. If it can initialize the GPS but takes a really long time to lock-on to 8 satellites, try another COM port. Make sure you reset the GPS setting in GPS Test program back to AUTO, exit then start again.
c. If it skipped over the COM port you assigned, exit, change the COM port and start again.

HTH