Bearxor
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bearxor is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cac9478
Im sorry but if you think that the 2032 is better than the 6700 than you must have gotten a really f***ed up 6700.
Like I said, on the 2032SP, at least when I got a call, I could hear the person on the other end. The earpiece is just so weak on the 6700 but granted it's overly strong on the 2032SP.

Memory wise, with the 6700, I'm in the same boat I was with G1000 and the 2032SP. 32MB of RAM. At least you have 30MB for storage and it's not being used for program memory, but coming from the 6600's 128MB of ram... Wow, what a limitation.
Quote:
The 6700 got released last year and was the first WM5 Pocket PC phone, of course its not going to be as "optimized" for WM5 as a phone that was just released last month, even thought it was long overdue.
I understand what you're saying but past experience with another HTC phone, the 6600, leads me to believe differently. The Hermes doesn't have any wonderful optimizations either. It seems to me HTC is not intrested in doing any kinds of tweaks to WM at all. If they were, they would be able to put the applications they want to preinstall in the ROM and do away with an extended rom all together like the Treo.
Quote:
Its funny how they just slap some more memory into that phone and all of a sudden it is the best phone available.
True dat. The Treo 700w would have been pretty awesome if it wasn't for the 32MB of program memory. Sometimes just a little more memory is all it takes. If the 6700 had 128/128, it would probably work a lot better too.
Quote:
Personally I would never buy it because of the screen size. Almost all of the software I download is strictly qvga. There are not enough of the square screens to make software manufacturers make their software compatible.
True, but with the release of a WM Treo, a lot more software will be written with the square screen Treo in mind. The HP's never sold enough to make it worthwhile. Now with all major carriers in the US carrying the Treo 700w/750 (or soon anyways), it's ineveitable.
Quote:
Plus without wifi it completely kills it. I have awesome EVDO reception in my area but I still love to use wifi without having a giant wifi card sticking out of my phone.
I thought so too but the Treo works much better with a WiFi card than say a 6600 did. One of the big things with the 6600 is that there was no external antenna, and so the WiFi card did just kind of stick out there. With the 700wx, there is an antenna and my E300 card doesn't stick above the antenna so it looks rather nice. I've seen the Palm WiFi card though, and it looks HUGE, so may that's what you're thinking of. Plus the WiFi antenna in the 6700 was kind of weak, even when I went in to the options and changed it Max Performance instead of the middle.
Quote:
Feel Free To Flame
No flaming necessary! We're all friendly here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake
no doubt I see where both of u r coming from but that's why they call them opinions. no need to argue some like palm form factor. some don't. but this we be more interesting when htc releases the 6800 and then we will have something to really compare against the 700wx. So until then lets just say hey the 700wx is newer....u only expect better out of newer things right? so we will see what htc has to offer in a new device...just imo.
~mike
Of course, thats what makes options so great. People with different opinions can pick different things. Really, I guess I'm just so excited because I have been an anti-palm WM fanboy for almost four years. It's just shocking to me that HTC can not make the OS as refined as they do their hardware. It's like they don't care.

I'm sure the 6800 will be nice but I wasn't a fan of the slide-sideways form factor to begin with and unless there's significant changes at the OS level in the 6800 it will still be no contest for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta
...well that was certainly a heated review
Maybe excited and surprised would be a better description.
Quote:
For everyone, understand where bearxor is coming from, for some reason or another his 6700 just didn't work as well as it should and he gets a new phone and it does all and more. I'm sure any of us would be as excited to.
It wasn't just my 6700 They replaced it and it still acted slow and stupid. Or did you mean to say the 6700 just didn't work as well for me as I expected it to?
Quote:
Now, we can debate whether the 6700 is good or not but I think enough time in the world has been taken up by that debate.
True enough.
Quote:
re: "One more irritation is that when you hold down the center key to do something, it doesn't draw the little circle so you never know if it's working or not until the menu pops up."

I didn't even know you could hold down that button to do something. Cool!
Maybe the reason you didn't know it could do that is that you tried holding it down and didn't see the little circle starting to form and you let go a half second or so before you should have. Palm should fix this in a ROM update.
Quote:
cac9478, although more memory is certainly nice I would argue that it's all the Palm tweaks (hardware and software) that make the 700wx such an enjoyable phone. It makes a big difference.
I agree but I want to emphasize that it doesn't just make it a more enjoyable phone but a more enjoyable PDA as well. I think a lot of people are set in to the notion that HTC=Good PDA/Ok Phone and Palm=OK PDA/Good Phone. That's how I felt up to a couple of days ago, but the 700wx is definitely a more enjoyable PDA and just as every bit as powerful as a 6700.

An additional thing that I've noticed on the Treo is that 5-way pad takes you to a lot more places than the joystick did on the 6700. I can't give specific examples at this moment but it feels like it just works in more places than the 6700's joystick did.