View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
DSGamer
PPCGeeks Regular

DSGamer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have a G1, about to give the Touch Pro a second chance, am I crazy?

So you might remember that I posted earlier about having issues with the speed of the Touch Pro, and the responsiveness as well as the battery life.

I've had the G1 for a couple weeks now and it's awesome. It's one of my favorite phones ever, but there are 3 problems with it that have me considering the HTC Touch Pro again.

#1 - My wife is still on Sprint and likes her phone (the Rant) and so our cell phone bill has effectively doubled, not being able to share minutes, etc. In these economic times that's not trivial.

#2 - I really really really miss voice dialing. On my old Samsung A920 I could just hit the button on the bluetooth headset and basically give the name of anyone in my contact list and the phone would dial them. This doesn't work at all with the G1

#3 - The ergonomics of the phone are bugging me. I think the keyboard is better, but I'm getting thumb pain in my left thumb from having to reach so far to hit dial, etc. It's definitely not a phone you can operate well with one hand.

Now my questions. From what I remember of the Touch Pro the brief time I had it, it's much shorter. Like an inch or two inches shorter. Has anyone had any problems with ergo issues related to holding the phone, operating it, etc.?

Secondly, has the build quality improved at all? Is there a lot of phones out there that is known to have a better battery or be less prone to being defective? I know that if I go with Best Buy (what I'm considering doing since I canceled with Sprint completely) that I could get their PRP and thus not have to deal with Sprint's suboptimal customer service. But I'd still like to know if the phones have improved at all in terms of quality.

Finally, aside from installing a custom ROM has anyone come up with a sure fire set of things to do to speed up Windows Mobile on the phone? I see many posts in this forum about getting android on the Touch Pro or speed issues. So it isn't encouraging to think of going from a phone that's silky smooth to one that chugs along.

If it has gotten better, though, having voice dialing back and reducing my phone bill by $70/month would probably make up for it.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.