cforster
PPCGeeks Regular

cforster is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Active Sync first use problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
Sorry this is a bit long, but I am confused about "Active Sync". I finally installed the CD that came with the phone to my PC. I guess I expected something like Palm Desktop to be installed. All that I got was "Active Sync" in the taskbar.

OK, I connected the phone via USB. PC recognized it fine. I don't have Outlook installed on that PC, so a box popped up that I could only sync "other files". Fine. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to "sync" - other than using the phone like a drive to copy files to and from. I browsed a little through the explorer folders, then I unplugged it. (I couldn't figure out how to "stop" the USB connection)

I picked up the phone a little later to make a call. I nearly had a heart attack when I went to "Contacts" and got a blank screen! I was going to panic - but my "Call History" still had the names associated with the numbers, so I figured the info had to be somewhere. I turned the phone off and back on and all seems ok.

Did Active Sync have anything to do with the contacts disappearing? What am I supposed to use Active Sync for if I don't have Outlook to sync with? Is there anything like Palm Desktop? And one last question - do I have to install Active Sync to be able to use the phone as an external drive (e.g. just to transfer files)

Thanks so much - y'all are great!
If your using XP activesync installs the drivers so that you can access your phone's data. Vista has built-in support with windows mobile device center.

I have never used activesync to sync anything, including outlook via usb. I use it from the phone to interface over the air to my exchange server. Honestly I'm not sure what you would use it for other than syncing outlook data? Maybe someone else on here could tell you more than I??

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click