View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
speck
PPCGeeks Regular

speck is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Active Sync first use problem

Sorry this is a bit long, but I am confused about "Active Sync". I finally installed the CD that came with the phone to my PC. I guess I expected something like Palm Desktop to be installed. All that I got was "Active Sync" in the taskbar.

OK, I connected the phone via USB. PC recognized it fine. I don't have Outlook installed on that PC, so a box popped up that I could only sync "other files". Fine. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to "sync" - other than using the phone like a drive to copy files to and from. I browsed a little through the explorer folders, then I unplugged it. (I couldn't figure out how to "stop" the USB connection)

I picked up the phone a little later to make a call. I nearly had a heart attack when I went to "Contacts" and got a blank screen! I was going to panic - but my "Call History" still had the names associated with the numbers, so I figured the info had to be somewhere. I turned the phone off and back on and all seems ok.

Did Active Sync have anything to do with the contacts disappearing? What am I supposed to use Active Sync for if I don't have Outlook to sync with? Is there anything like Palm Desktop? And one last question - do I have to install Active Sync to be able to use the phone as an external drive (e.g. just to transfer files)

Thanks so much - y'all are great!