View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 03:12 AM
dr g
Regular 'Geeker

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Scrolling too much

Okay, I think I have fully figured out how this works.
The settings in HKLM/Software/OEM/TFLOsettings apply to the system areas, NOT the TF3D apps. This is stuff such as the contact list, the WM programs explorer, file explorer, etc.

Pagelow = Low speed scroll page size
Pagehigh = High speed scroll page size
Speedlow = Low speed scroll speed (ms delay)
Speedhigh = High speed scroll speed (ms delay)
Pantype = Enable/disable grab scrolling (default 1, 0=disable)

The page size is the number of "units" the given interface scrolls when the low or high speed scroll is activated by gesturing (finger flick). For example a pagelow of 20 would scroll 20 contacts each time you flick scroll in the contact list. This is why with the default 50 and 80 settings, flick scrolling causes excessive scrolling in contacts with the device initially.

The low speed scroll is activated by the initial flick gesture. The high speed scroll is activated by an ADDITIONAL flick gesture DURING the scroll initiated by the low speed scroll gesture. So it's kind of like "revving up" the scroll.

The speedlow and speedhigh delays are the delays between the "units" scrolled during either scroll. As such, the speedlow number is higher than the speedhigh number. Thing is, if you set the speedlow number too small, the low speed scroll will finish so quickly, you will not be able to initiate the high speed scroll with an additional gesture.

Now to do "grab scrolling" i.e. controlled unit-by-unit scrolling, is tricky with these interfaces because you are prone to accidentally selecting an item, contact, etc. The trick is to do a very flat-fingered, deliberate drag of the screen. Press with the pad of your thumb and very consciously drag the screen up or down, and you should be able to do this type of scroll. Avoid using your fingernail for this, as that tends to register as a tap. The important part is that the finger remain in contact through the motion, until you stop the drag motion. If you lift your finger during the motion, you get a flick scroll.

EDIT: Here are the settings I have settled on, if you need a starting point:
Speedlow=100
Speedhigh=25
Pagelow=15
Pagehigh=50

Last edited by dr g; 12-17-2008 at 05:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.