View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM
subhumanderelict
Regular 'Geeker

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict
Vibration Mechanism

I have a question about the inner workings of our device (this may also apply to any touch-screen phone). I've tried researching haptic feedback technology, but all I get are general articles explaining what it does and not the actual mechanics of it. A few patents gave me proposed designs for it, but nothing I can find in our actual phones.

I'm not even sure if what raised my interest is correct. It all started when I played Teeter for the first time. I noticed that the vibration the phone gave was less of a vibration and more of a single impact or an impulse over a short amount of time. I may be wrong, but that's what it feels like. If it is just a much shorter series of controlled impacts, bravo on the dampening effect.

I know that at least some phones get their vibrations from a small, irregularly-weighted disk that swings around when activated. This just feels so much more instantaneous that I have to wonder if it's a separate device, like something that runs on a rail and impacts the side like a thumper from Dune. Some of the patents I've reviewed allude to such a setup.

I really want to know because no matter how much I tweak the cab file here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38873
I just can't get it to feel the same as the impacts from Teeter. Are we maybe accessing the wrong mechanism?