View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
staubio
Lurker

staubio is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS and Geocaching Questions

I installed GeoScout and tried to use it for geocaching on a recent trip. It really doesn't work well for that purpose as you have to be moving in a sustained direction at a decent clip for it to register your movement walking. Most of the time, it would be pointing in some nonsense direction since, without recognizing movement, it didn't know my direction. I ended up orienting the compass to the north and trying to use that but I didn't have great success. I went 0/3 on the trip.

I read about a setting on sirf chipsets where small movements are ignored to eliminate calibration travel, i.e. your location moving around with changes in GPS accuracy. Unfortunately the Touch Pro doesn't have a sirf chipset so there is no ap I know of to disable this feature.

I've read other reports of GPS lag in navigation and have seen some suggested fixes out there, though I haven't tried them. In terms of tracking movement, it recorded my track just fine while walking (as this is just logging coordinates at set intervals) but didn't register my movement.

If anyone has found a winning way to geocache with a GPS hack/fix, I'd love to hear about it. I suspect this is related to the GPS lag issue.