View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Opera Mini 4.2 Release today

Opera MINI is a java applet for standard (read:dumb) phones with Java support. For example, a Moto Razr, LG Fusic, standard Samsung flip, etc. It actually does a bang up job, compressing pages on their server and then sending a compressed image of a full web experience so that standard devices can appear to browse the REAL web. Especially devices you wouldn't think capable of it.

Opera Mobile is a native PDA web browser that gives you a "real" desktop web expereince (read:not server-side compressed, but actual live dynamic data). This is up to version 9.x already, and the Windows Mobile version of this software is what comes with the Diamond and TPro.

Opera MINI is only on its 4th version at the moment, and was not designed with PDA phones in mind. It WILL work on PDA devices if you have a Java runtime environment to emulate the simpler phone's Java sandbox (like esmertec Jbed- Sprint might include this free with your phone), and it IS faster because of the server side compression, but it has its shortcomings since it is not native to Windows OS (no cut and paste, dynamic content won't work, no integration with the rest of the system, etc).

Personally, I use Opera Mini to look up quick things since it loads faster, and Opera Mobile for real web experiences with dhtml and ajax content, and even plain ol' IE for some efficient mobile-formatted pages (logmein.com, gmail, flight trackers, etc).

Hope this helps explain some things...
This post has been thanked 2 times.