View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
tsperez
Halfway to VIP Status

tsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Best way to apply screen protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Office View Post
I have actually had great success by literally dipping my pro first into a bowl of cleaning solution (commercial grade is probably best) then vigorously washing off all the solution by submerging the pro under a fully open faucet.

This seems to temper the screen and soften it up in a way which allows the screen protector to more readily adhere to the glass surface.

I then place the pro into my freezer in order to allow any random drops of water to freeze so that I may then crack them off before I enter the final,and most important, facet of the protector placement.

In the final phase, I heat up the screen - and just the screen; it is CRUCIAL that you avoid the D-pad - with an acetylene torch. This must be done with some care; too heavy a hand will cause charring to the screen and that ought to be avoided. Once the pro screen is heated up just the right amount, you should very quickly peel off the back of the protector, and just slap the damned thing onto the phone. (BTW, I have had pretty good success with the slapping part by doing it while blindfolded.) Once you slap it on, just move it into place, being careful not to burn your fingers, as the screen may still be hot from your use of the torch.

That's the way I do it, although I admit it's a shortcut, and you might want to use more care than I've set forth here.

Good luck.
This is pretty much what I do but before applying the protector on the screen I run the phone through a planer (the kind used to even heads and engine blocks) so as to have it as flat as possible. I then use a plunge router to take about 0.05 mm off the molding around the face of the screen to give me that little extra room to play around with. Then, using two laser levels, I simply drop on the protector and use a hydraulic press to squeeze any water/air out of it.

Works for me.
tsp
PS: I would take photos but my phone is in for service.