View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 AM
stroths
VIP & Master of my Domain

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to make Palm SMS today screen icon BIGGER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee K View Post
It's so much better it's hilarious.
Considering I was one of the people who helped in moving it over from the treo, I have a lot of experience with the Palm threaded SMS app. However, I don't see it as being that much better. It does have some advantages over the WM version (i.e. auto text, emoticons, better use of screen space). However, it was designed for a 240x240 screen which causes issues in landscape mode. It was also designed for a GSM phone, which is why we could never get the MMS to work on CDMA phones. Many had other issues such as double or multiple duplicate texting. The 6.1 verson is also nice because it uses the standard cemail.vol message location so SMS backup software works with it. Plus any other software that interacts with the cemail.vol will play nicely. Of course its still pretty easy to backup the Palm version.

For stability, the WM 6.1 version is better since it was designed to work with our phones. The Palm version was great for what it was. I wish MS would add some of these improvements into their version that Palm did. In the end though, I'll stick with the current MS version for its overall stability and functionionality with out non 240x240 devices.

If it suits your needs better then you should use it. Most of the early adopters that have WM 6.1 have moved on to it though, so you might have trouble finding others with the same issues. You might want to check over at XDA because I'm sure there were people using it on their VGA devices that have been out for a while. If they ran into the same issue as you, they might have found a workaround.

On a side note to anyone who is interested in this app, please don't ask for it here as its against forum rules to post this app. It's commercial software that Palm talked to the board OPs about specifically when it was posted here a while back.

EDIT: Here's some pics of the 2 side-by-side for those interested from an earlier posting of mine.

Left is WM 6.1 and right is the Palm SMS (both on 320x240 screens).

Last edited by stroths; 10-31-2008 at 07:31 AM.