View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM
porcaccio
Lurker

porcaccio is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to porcaccio Send a message via MSN to porcaccio Send a message via Yahoo to porcaccio
Re: Some Pro Thoughts From A Lurker.

Well, I don't post here that much myself, but I am a longtime Treo user. I have been through my share of HTC slide devices on sprint, though (PPC6700, Mogul and now Touch Pro). Yesterday was my second day of use with the TP coming from a Treo 800w (and previously a Treo 700wx).

Take my comments for what they are worth (nothing). The Treo 800w is fantastic. What palm does to customize their phones makes the experience fully worthwhile. I have 28 days to choose to go back to the Treo. I will be considering that. One handed functionality is key, and the hardware keyboard is magnificent. I also miss some basics, like the Soft buttons to close applications and such.

The Today screen on the Treo 800w was well organized and I could get to Texting (thanks Cody PPC) and email very quickly. On the inbox, i can soft key delete instead of reply all, which made it easy to wade through the hundreds of emails I read in a day.

BUT, I started figuring out the Touch Pro. It's light years ahead of my experience with the PPC 6700 and the Mogul. I can access Voice Command so easily that I don't even miss the Speed Dial pictures on my Treo. Sending email takes an extra step, but I don't mind.

Here is the biggest one for me, though. The flush screen is gorgeous AND bringing up the software keyboard allows me to one hand type even in the car. To top it off, the screen is so responsive that I don't feel that I am losing that much time typing one handed. That for me is a first.

My negatives, though, are on that TF3D interface clunkiness and lack of speed. Opera renders better than IE, but damnit if I can open a link when I need/want to.

I think the TP has a lot more going for it than what people are seeing in their first couple of days with it. Consider that I use Slingplayer Mobile and I would actually watch those streams now. The Bluetooth stack works way better than my Treos ever did and the music streaming from it is quite good.

I'm happy for now, but who knows... I might sour like others...