Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
bkaz
PPCGeeks Regular

bkaz is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Some Pro Thoughts From A Lurker.

I've been observing the TP posts and here are my observations:

Unlike many people here you are coming from a treo. So your experience will be different. Most of us are coming from a titan, apache, or vogue to the touch pro. So the difference for us might be minor. The TP's screen is the same size and has the same aspect ratio. Software-wise, our devices have been unlocked/cooked/hacked to do almost anything the TP can do - including emulating touchflo3d. We are used to having a big hardware keyboard. So to us the TP is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Regarding the form of the phone - I have also had a treo. I felt it worked better as a phone than the HTC devices that lack hard dialing buttons. I liked the treo's keyboard for one-handed stuff, but it didn't take long for me to prefer the larger titan keyboard. With the extra row for numbers, the TP's keyboard is even better. As a phone only, I gave the treo a "B" and the mogul/touch a "C" - mostly due to the lack of buttons.

Regarding touchflo3d - We are biased here. People around here prefer to modify their phones and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone running totally "stock". So take comments about disabling touchflo with a grain of salt. We've been playing with touchflo3d for a while now and many prefer to be more customized.

Regarding the battery/heat - just about the only solution is a bigger battery. Custom roms might eventually help extend battery life.

I should mention that I do not have a TP yet - verizon will probably make it available in just few short years!