View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Seriously
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
There should be five and I am certain that is your problem. The typical pinout for the 5-pin mini-usb port is as follows:

1 2 3 4 5

| X | | |

Pin 1 -- +5 VDC
Pin 2 -- Data (-) -- This is your missing conductor.
Pin 3 -- Data (+)
Pin 4 -- NC or GND
Pin 5 -- GND

So, knowing this, the negative reference for your data line is floating which is causing bit errors when attempting to communicate with your host computer. This is also why the phone will still charge despite the missing pin.

Unfortunately, you're only fix will be having the usb port on your device repaired. Sorry for the bad news.
Thank you very much Raven. Usually VZW tech support is the last I ask for help, but turns out, they did know of this and said exactly what you did. Luckily I have assurion and they are sending a replacement to be here tomorrow.
While searching for answers, I noticed many people having usb issues. While most were fixed with the more mundane solutions, some would benefit in getting under a good light and looking in their usb port (as well as reading your answer). Well, I appreciate your help very much!

thanks,

Seriously

[IMG][/IMG]