View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
willheim
Lurker

willheim is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using DSL through USB/cradle sync possible?

Here's the problem I'm hoping you can help me with. I had an old iPaq 4150 which I used as my PPC with wm2003. When it was cradled it used the notebook's internet connection and I could play streaming radio, download, whatever... all using the ADSL at home. I thought the same would be for my Treo700wx.

My habit was to come home from work, connect to the notebook to sync, and leave it plugged in until I went out again (usually 8 or 9am). That way, if I got any email it would use the ADSL to grab it and I wouldn't use any of my overpriced Canadian data.

Then I got my bill. WTF!? This thing has been connecting at all hours and doing all manners of small data packet usages putting me 11mb over (in 15 days!) and in the hole $90. It did not use the USB/notebook/dSL connection at all.

My questions (now I know why GPRS datamonitor was telling me I was over my daily limit by 10am)... Is it not possible to have the Treo use our landlines when synced? What do others do to limit data usage? Now I'm on 25mb/month ($60.... grrrrrr)... with Bell....