Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
cyberwraith
Lurker

cyberwraith is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation XV-6800 stuck at splash screen

Hey guys!

I am in desperate need of some assistance. First of all, a little background.....I noted with great excitment that Verizon finally released an official ROM update with WM6.1. My phone had the original ROM on it. I had never loaded a Sprint ROM, unlocked my radio, or cooked a ROM of my own to load on my phone.

I downloaded the update from the verizon website, followed the instructions to the letter, and thought life was great. I was on the Internet, receiving txt and mms messages, and basically loving life in wm6.1 I do lots of tech support, so I was even able to use the WM remote desktop to log into machines at the office. Then, I tried to make a phone call, and I got the famous "Verizon cannot authenticate you phone" message, so I called tech support.

I spent the first half hour of my call patiently explaining to the tech that, yes, Verizon actually DID release a rom with wm6.1 because he was trying to tell me that Verizon customers weren't authorized to run WM6.1 on the XV6800. I finally walked him through going to Verizon's on download link, and he said "Oh".

He then proceedes to tell me that we need to update the programming on my phone. *228, select option 1, listen to horrible music. Get done, and the phone works so it was like, "okay, we fixed it. Have a nice day." I didn't let him off the phone so quickly. I tried my internet access before we hung up. Wireless worked fine but anything using EVDO got a Error Code 11 PPP access error. Kept telling me that my phone wouldn't authenticate.

I was on the phone with the call center until MIDNIGHT. They finally gave up and told me that they needed to do research. Scheduled a callback for yesterday. Okay, the tech called me back and told me that they were able to successfully load a xv6800, told me to re-download the ROM and try again. I did with the same result. They told me that the update must've cooked my radio, but they couldn't explain to me why it worked until they updated my account on their end. I secretly suspect that they screwed something up generating a new "a" record. Anyway, told me that I needed another phone, and they are going to ship one. I, however, wanted my phone to work. Geeks can get so impatient. So I drove to my local Verizon supercenter where you have to sign in on a computer terminal and wait for them to call your name. My turn finally came, so I got another tech. After spending half an hour bringing another tech up to speed, he took my phone to the back. To make a long story short, after 4 hours, he came back and told me that there was a bug in WM6.1 that made it incompatible with my phone. He said they were shipping me a new phone with WM6.0 and that I was not to flash this one because the wouldn't replace another one.

I asked him why Verizon released an update that wouldn't work on my phone and told him that the other tech had updated to WM6.1 the day before. I told him that he couldn't really blame the problem on Microsoft because other HTC phones were running the update successfully ie ATT Tilt and Sprint Mogal. He didn't have a good answer for that.

I came home and did lots of research. I discovered that other VZW customers had similar issues not because of WM6.1 but because of the stupid lock that VZW had on the radio.

I decided to go with one of the ROMS here, so I did about six hours of reading. I then ran the Titan relock utility, flashed my phone back to the original ROM, had VZW to reprogram it, and everything worked. Then I downloaded SPL 2.40 OliPro and ulocked the radio and loaded a rom. I then went and downloaded what I thought was the latest stock ROM from Sprint. I made sure NOT to do the customizations. However, I must've screwed something up, because when the phone did the soft reset, it went to a Verizon splash screen.

According to the phone, the radio is 3.42.30. I thought that maybe something happened on the unlock, so I decided to try to re-run it. The only problem was that I no longer had access to activesync. I got back on the forum and downloaded nuespl-2.47, formated a microsd for FAT32 and was going to run it. However, you have to run that from your phone, and since I can't get to activesync to access my phone because I'm stuck at the splash screen, that's a problem. So, I got a sprint Radio Rom, loaded it to my flash drive, started the bootloader and flashed the rom that way.

So, my radio is now 3.42.30, and my nice Rainbow colored boot screen is SPL-2.40.Olipro CPLD-9.

Now for my question....since I have access to the bootloader, is there anyway to load a ROM image for the phone on the SD card, and if so, which one do I use? I've looked though so many FAQs that my head is starting to spin, and I've been working on my phone for three days.

I don't see how the idiots at Verizon can call themselves techs. From what I have seen, there are some very smart folks here. I think I'm gonna like this place. You are my kind of people. Thanks for your help.

-Mark