View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
ewok
Lurker

ewok is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cricket Broadband on an XV6700, and voice calling!

So, I was curious if I could get my XV6700, which has been sitting around for a year and a half after I left Verizon, connected to Cricket Broadband (the $40/mo unlimited plan).

And, I did!

I was able to copy settings from my Kyocera KPC650 PC Card to the XV6700. Fairly straightforward process.

First I used PPCKitchen to start with a fresh WM 6.1 load. Then used CDMA Workshop to do all of the stuff under the hood. I used the Helmi 6.1 with Cricket settings. The only thing I had to do was provide my username/password and everything just worked.

The interesting thing is that you can actually send and receive phone calls as well. Unfortunately, there is no voicemail and there is no call forwarding.

The coolest thing is that with the Cricket Broadband there's no need to set http or wap proxies. This confused me at first because it's the first time I've run across a configuration without needing proxy settings.

I've not been able to get MMS working, however, but it may be a feature that's not enabled on the broadband plans.

Nothing better than broadband on the go with free inbound/outbound calling!

E

Last edited by ewok; 08-20-2008 at 04:25 PM.