View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
shifter
Lurker

shifter is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easy Fix For VZW After Accidentally Letting Sprint Customization Run

So like a lot of people, I misread the instructions about upgrading the radio using the new Sprint ROM and ended up letting the customizations run. I searched extensively through the forums to find an easy fix, but the only one I found was alcatec's fix located here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=30109.

However, that is more complicated and involves more phone calls than I wanted to make. So I searched for an easier fix and found one that worked for me. I can't say it will also work for you, but it did work for me and got my phone back to square one so I could start over with the cooking.

This assumes that you have already run ImCokeMan's new Vogue Unlocker, updated to the Official Sprint ROM with GPS and Rev A and accidentally let the customizations run.

1. I first ran ImCokeMan's .40 Vogue Unlocker since the official Sprint ROM is non GPS.

2. I then flashed to the Original OEM 6.0 Sprint ROM. This restored my radio to 2.13 - not the original 1.60 that VZW uses, but it works anyway because this is also a non-GPS radio. This time, DON'T LET THE CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN!!!!

3. I then ran ImCokeMan's .40 Vogue Unlocker again since the official Sprint ROM had locked it back up.

4. I then upgraded using the VZW dumped ROM. This time, LET the customizations run. As far as I can tell, these customizations will undo what the Sprint customizations screwed up. Since it is dumped, this doesn't include a radio, which is the reason for step 2. If you don't do step 2, you'll brick the phone because you can't use this ROM with the 3.XX radio. However, it's not permanently bricked (as I first did this without step 2). All you have to do is start back from step 2.

5. Dial *228 and press 1 to program the phone. If the programming goes successfully, you should have a completely working phone with no left over side effects that have been reported from the Sprint customizations (always roaming, data connection doesn't work, etc).

I'm not sure if this really undos everything that that the Sprint customizations did, but it undos enough that all appears normal.

Good luck and let me know if this works/doesn't work for you.

Thanks to dharvey4651 for the Original OEM Sprint 6.0 ROM, NexVision for the tutorials and ROMs and ImCokeMan for the VZW Dumped ROM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.