View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
GaMedic
Ditch Doctor
Threadstarter

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Step by Step tutorial for unlocking your device and cooking your own ROM!!!

Now that you have the phone unlocked you will need to put a new GPS enabled Radio on the device.

Edit: If you already have a GPS enabled Radio you can skip this step. Radio versions 3.35 and higher are GPS enabled.

You can do it one of several ways. You can use the sprint ROM to update your phone. If you are a Sprint customer this may very well be the best way. (This has not been tested by me with VZW but is said to work) If you have another carrier, you can install the latest Sprint ROM to your phone as well. When the phone reboots to the screen that says "tap here to setup", you need to put the phone back in bootloader. DO NOT PROCEED PAST THIS SCREEN so that customizations do not run. If you proceed and allow the Sprint customizations to run, you will have to search the forum to find the method to reverse the Sprint settings on your device. The reason you as a VZW customer would run the Sprint ROM is that Sprint has released a ROM that has a GPS enabled radio in it. VZW has not done so at this point. So basically you are doing it only to get the radio. That is not your only option to obtain and install a GPS enabled Radio. The following methods are how I did mine. You can download the latest Radio (3.42.30) ( Here is 3.42.40) and place the file (radio) on an SD card, rename that file to TITAIMG.nbh. Place the SD card into the device and put the phone into bootloader mode (Power, camera, reset) and follow the prompts on the screen to update the radio. You can also look for the 3.35 radio on the FTP that is packaged in an installer. All you have to do is plug your phone to your PC and double click the icon, then follow the prompts. I prefer to flash with a SD card. Much easier and you don't have to worry about computer issues. By the way don't worry about the phone failing to boot past the splash screen after you install the radio, because it won't. The radio you just put on is not compatible with the stock ROM.
Once you have unlocked and installed a radio you are ready to load your custom ROM. So at this point you can use one of the Custom ROM's that are posted here at ppcgeeks.com, such as no2chems or DCD's , or you can venture into the world of building your own.

Legend: Topics, Threads at ppcgeeks, Files you can download, Screeshots, Links to web sites, Important information, FTP folder, Edits.

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>

Last edited by GaMedic; 10-03-2008 at 11:20 AM.
This post has been thanked 62 times.