View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
markgamber
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
An Open Letter to HTC

I signed up with Sprint a year ago and bought a Treo 700wx. It was a very nice phone. The Mogul got a lot of hype, however, and the specs looked good on paper so I paid full price for it and I couldn't even tolerate it three months. It was deathly slow. Even slower than T-Mobile's MDA. It constantly ran out of memory, DirectDraw had a serious flaw and not a single bluetooth device I owned, be it the keyboard, GPS unit or headset, would pair with the phone. Bluetooth has been a standard for what, 150 years? How could you possibly screw that up? But you did and by three months I hated that phone. I threw it away and bought, again at full price (thanks for nothing, Sprint), a Touch. It had plenty of memory and it was pretty snappy but, as is par for HTC, there was a serious flaw in DirectDraw that prevented video from playing at more than 1 frame per second, more or less. The same as with the Mogul. Windows Media Player didn't even work correctly. Seriously, how do you not notice that the main OS media player doesn't work? I wrote a letter complaining about how bad HTC's "multimedia phone" was at multimedia and received a questionaire about the problem which I promptly filled in and sent back. Nothing more was heard until I read that HTC was going to fix the bug. Several weeks later I read that the official "fix" from HTC was to buy the next phone.

HTC, that's the definition of the word "Bulls**t".

I've owned HTC phones for years and every single one of them had at least one serious design flaw, be it hardware or software, that was never properly addressed. The Orange E-200, for example, that had the joystick nub that went bad after 3 or 4 months of use and cost well over $100 to repair. I'm sure you remember that. The part cost you what, $3? Or the T-Mobile MDA that was unbelievably slow and forced you to realign the screen 3, 4, 5 or more times a day. Even the second and third replacement sent by T-Mobile had the same problem. There's two more examples on top of the Mogul and Touch and I have several others I'm not going to waste time on.

Well, HTC, I'm not buying the "bug fix" for the Touch which, in itself, was the "bug fix" for the Mogul. In fact, I'm not buying an HTC phone again. Instead, I've bought an iPhone. It could just as easily have been a new Blackberry or SonyEriccson but I went with the iPhone for the fun of it. Sure, it doesn't have all the features of Windows Mobile. Sure, it doesn't have all the applications available to Windows Mobile. Sure, it has it's share of problems and once again Apple and AT&T botched the launch. But you know what it does have that HTC phones do not? Of course you don't, it's SUPPORT. Two days after I bought the iPhone, I installed a bug fix that didn't affect my phone but I wanted to try the restore function of the phone. Two days! Bug fix! Do you know the maximum number of bug fixes I've ever had to apply to an HTC phone? I do: one. Because that's all that was made available, certainly not because it fixed all the bugs. That's actually laughable.

It's obvious by now that HTC could not possibly care any less about it's customer base. In fact, I'd say HTC has amply demonstrated that it cares about nothing beyond it's bottom line. Keep pushing out flawed equipment to keep that money flowing in and the sheep will keep buying it. Well I'm not buying it any longer. Whatever replaces the Touch, multiply that by three and that's how much you won't be getting from me. Do the same for each new phone you push out the door that I also won't be buying. Three because I bought an iPhone to replace the Touch and later this week I'm also buying my wife and son iPhones to replace their Touches. Oh, I realize it's a drop in the bucket and I'm sure this will be met with all the usual half-witted, knee-jerk replies from your fanboyz, but that only matters if you care and I couldn't care less. Just like you, HTC. Enjoy.

Goodbye HTC.