View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
schettj
morsus mihi

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Official Titan built-in GPS Thread

Well interesting reading while googling the QuickGPS app...

http://www.htcwiki.com/thread/939263...S+Works?t=anon

To get a GPS fix, your gps has to download the full Ephemeris data from the gps sats (full standalone) or from cell towers (sprint's doing this - more or less) or from quickGPS (at&t & other HTCs do this - there is a region="XX" registry entry for QuickGPS - mine said "US", I changed it to "UK" and re-downloaded... still got a very fast fix in the US but then I had already gotten the initial fix for today....)

Now, the really interesting thing is, the gps itself has to know where it is in the world, in a general sense, to get the ball rolling if its fully standalone, since it needs to find some sats to start downloading the position data.... If it does NOT know where it is (if its been moved so far that none of the sats it saw at last fix are visible) then it can take a very very long time to do the first fix.

Its *possible* that the general location might even be fixed or locked... and if so, it will indeed never get a fix since it will keep trying to put itself into the general location on earth that it is locked to. Maybe that's what we're seeing with the (US ONLY) mogul?
This post has been thanked 2 times.