Thread: Free GPS!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 AM
nmhusa
Halfway to VIP Status

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Re: Free GPS!!!!!!!

Free GPS i.e. Google Maps and Windows Live are great for Points of Interest Search when you are in an area with a good phone signal (mostly around cities). Out on the the interstates, the POI with Free programs is pretty good. I use Google Maps or Live for any phone number checks for businesses etc as it is pretty quick and upto date.

iGuidance 4 ($99), provides the complete US/Canada in 1.2 Gb on your memory card, had POI, text to speech (i.e. reads out street names in entirety) and proides rapid driving updates so that you can easily follow the spoken directions without needing to see (or look at) the map (essential for a good GPS unit). This is my first choice for road trips in and around town or cross country (or while in roaming regions i.e. Canada).

TOMTOM has been installed a few times on my phone, but I cannot recommend it as it lacks Text to Speech for street names, has poor voice warnings for turns, fails to tell you which side of the street your destination is when you arrive etc etc etc. TOMTOM 7 is coming out (or is out on some phones) and it still fails to offer Text to Speech (a deal breaker for me).

Garmin ??? Needs a decidacted microsd card with maps installed (PIA). Or you can pirate the maps (as most seem to have done) and install it on your own microsd card. Text to Speech is missing. POI is good (but thats what the free GPS programs do best). So I see no use in it at all.

BTW I have tried each version of the above on my phone, including Pharos GPS, Destinator, iGo and still come back to iGuidance as it is the most versatile and best value for the money.
This post has been thanked 1 times.