View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
subhumanderelict
Regular 'Geeker

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict
Re: PPC 6800 & GPS tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickles View Post
yes, but in order for this to work, the GPS must be active on the phone you wish to track..
remember, once in standby mode, the gps turns off.. so your user would need to know to go in and manually re-start GPS each time, other Sprite won't be able to talk to it.
it's for that reason the Sprite app became completley irrelevant for me, with regard to it's GPS feature.....
What exactly do you mean by "standby"? When I tested it, I had just re-started the phone. I made it a point not to activate anything to see if this would work in a real-life situation. After sending the text, my phone's screen turned on, and then shut itself off after 1 minute (what I have it set for). A few moments later, my friend's phone got a text message with my coordinates and a link. I read through the hacks on here to keep GPS active, but I never applied any of them. Maybe my phone's GPS went active for another reason...

In any case, I don't know if I can vouch for Sprite's stability anymore. I was about to test it again because of this thread when I noticed a problem: the program will no longer open. Since I am at work right now, I’ll have to wait until I get home before I can attempt to rectify this problem.

Ericschlaifer, now that I think about it, this program may not be as useful to you as I had originally thought. If you want to keep track of your employees, it may be better to use a live tracking service. This would be better if you want to secretly keep tabs on them, but even with this program, you’d only get locations 1 text at a time.