View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 AM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Customing Sound Themes for Rom Chefs - Tutorial

1. Install the necessary files.
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
a. You should already have a kitchen installed. If not, bookmark this tutorial and return when you are ready.
b. Download the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM, unzip it and copy it to PPCKitchens USER_OEM folder, or to your Kitchens ..\OEM folder.
d. Old fashioned pen and paper or print the *.rgu file for planning your Sound Scheme.

Let's take a quick look inside the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM:
initflashfiles.txt - Moves your sounds where you want them.
*.rgu - Contains your registry edits for sounds.
*.mp3 - MP3 Sounds.
*.mm - MP3 Sounds. I'll explain the *.mm later...
*.wav - CHEF ADDED
*.mid - CHEF ADDED

Anything not listed above is necessary for the OEM to function in your kitchen. And we will not mess with those.

2. Plan your Sound Scheme
Now let's talk about the preparing and designing your sound scheme.
The absolute easiest way to do this is to:
a. Open the *.RGU file and print it. I have commented the entries well.
b. Locate your sound files you want for the different entries and notate it on the printout.

You may use your method, I did this originally by opening up CERegEditor and simply exported the \HKEY_Current_User\ControlPanel\Notification key and cut&pasted it into the *.rgu file. (After I had all my sounds set the way I wanted them.) You can also free up some space on your device by deleting the "System Ringers" as long as you have all your sounds/notifications covered!

3. Locate and Rename target sound files.
Now you have all your sound files located, copy them into the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM folder so that they will be cooked into your rom.

***Note: Any sounds already included in your rom DO NOT need to be copied here. Leave them alone to avoid duplicate files so your kitchen won't puke!

Rename? Yes, I rename my ringers and certain other files I want in the "\My Documents" folder. This is for compatability and other reasons. I rename my ringer "bennyhill.mp3" to "bennyhill.mm".

Why? All the files get cooked into "\Windows", so I rename certain files so it will only show up one time in my ringer. You could bypass the renaming and the below initflashfiles.txt thing if you want, your choice! Just be sure to get the correct directory settings in the *.rgu file registry settings.

4. Edit your initflashfiles.txt from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
First let's take a look at the base INITFLASHFILES.TXT file we will be starting with:
Code:
Code:
;My initflashfiles.txt
;zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
Directory("\My Documents"):-File("BennyHill.mp3","\windows\000-BennyHill.mm")
Directory("\My Documents"):-File("txtmsgbos.mp3","\windows\txtmsgbos.mm")
As you see above, there is only one type of command we are interested in, the copy command:
Directory("destination_directory"):-File("destination_filename","source_path+filename" )

In the above example, the two entries copy your sound files from their cooked location in \windows to your \My Documents folder. In the example above I have moved two sound files that I usually place in that directory. Use the cut&paste method to "copy" your additional sound files into the \My Documents folder or leave them in \Windows. You may also use the comment line to either make notes to yourself, or to comment out a file copy operation.

Tip: To keep it simple I use the \Windows directory for notifications, and I only use the \My Documents folder for my Ringer and text notification sounds.

In post 4, I will elaborate on locations and sound types for the notifications.

Last edited by rstoyguy; 06-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.