View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 AM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial - PPCKitchen Friendly

Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial

About this tutorial:
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=-
This tutorial will show you how to customize the Sound Theme for your rom. Whether you want a SouthPark, StarWars, Diamond theme, this is for you.
This will work for PPCKitchen.org's Kitchen, DogGuys Kitchen, DCD's Kitchen and most others. This tutorial is for Windows Mobile 6.xx.
This will let you set all the sounds in your rom that are available in Start Menu -> Settings -> Sounds and Notifications tab. I want to do my part to help both current chefs and new and upcoming chefs develop their talents, and their custom roms!

Additional Notes:
- A copy of this file is attached inside zzz_My_Sounds_OEM.
- In post #4 I have included additional information that may be helpfull immediately following this tutorial.

This tutorial ASSUMES you have working knowledge of cooking your own rom, and general Windows knowledge. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU OR YOUR DEVICE by reading this tutorial! This tutorial should work with most windows-mobile based kitchens, Apache, Titan, Vogue and others. Feel free
to post your questions/comments.

Credits:
1. I would like to thank PPCGeeks.com and all the members.
2. All those that have contributed to developing and making all the kitchens possible! You all know who they (you) are!
3. Weedahoe, I borrowed his scripting information from his "The most COMPLETE compilation of hacks and teaks" thread.

Terminology used in this tutorial:
OEM - Similar to a .CAB file, this is the method used to add files/programs to a cooked Rom. This is copied to USER_OEM if using the ppckitchen, or into
your OEM folder if you are using another kitchen.
INITFLASHFILES.TXT - This is the text file you will edit to copy your files on your device from \windows to \whereever.
GUID - GUID (or UUID) is an acronym for 'Globally Unique Identifier'. It is a 128-bit integer number used to identify resources.
Scripts - Combination of commands WM6.x uses to determine how to handle select system sounds/alerts.

The Tools/Files you will need:
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
- PPCKitchen.org BuildOS.msi fully installed and ready to go...
- ...or...Your favorite Kitchen.
- Notepad.exe (Text editor that comes with windows, or any other text editor)
- Old fashioned pen and paper or printer.

The steps involved:
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
This tutorial will allow you to customize the sounds on your device via your choice of rom kitchen. I will show you how to add files to the attached zzz_My_Sounds_OEM, edit the initflashfiles.txt file that will copy your files to where you want 'em, and then edit the registry settings in the *.rgu file to make them 'stick'.

1. Install the necessary files.
2. Plan your Sound Scheme.
3. Locate and Rename target sound files.
4. Edit your initfiles.txt from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
5. Edit the *.rgu from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
6. Build & Flash!
7. Test your sound placement, repeat if necessary!

And here is the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM that you will need...

Edit: Shortly after posting, I changed some values in the rgu file. @ to Default and forgot the quotes. Here is an updated OEM. 6/11 5:00pm...

Edit: zzz_My_Sounds_OEM2.zip is updated as of 7/7/08....
Attached Files
File Type: zip zzz_My_Sounds_OEM.zip (214.5 KB, 158 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip zzz_My_Sounds_OEM2.zip (214.5 KB, 190 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 07-07-2008 at 08:27 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.