PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

jacksplat is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Fixes by Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetaldp View Post
Being we are non Sprint User the Assistance Server will never accept Requiest from Outer Network so we must have to put the GPS into Autonomous Mode (Self Fixing)

I am using this Setting in SULP (Secure User Plane Client With Extended Ephemeris)

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
"GPSMode"=dword:00000001
"EnableGPSSmartMode"=dword:00000000
"EnableAGPS"=dword:00000000
GPSMode = 1 means Autonomous (Self Fix no Assistance Required, Pessimistic Approach, Very Slow but Very Accurate)
GPSMode = 2 means Assisted by Server (Less Optimistic, Somewhat Slow but Medium Accuracy Quality)
GPSMode = 4 means Assisted by Server with Extended Ephemeris (Very Optimistic, But Sometime we loose Accuracy Quality)

EnableAGPS = 1 Means Enabled AGPS and 0 Disables it

EnableGPSSmartMode = 1 Save Downloaded Ephemeris Data and also Send it Assitance Server to Update / Fine Tune Extended Ephemeris Data on Server (Require Internet Connection), 0 Zero Desables this Feature

Ephemeris Data = To get Self Fix the Device must know the Position of Satelite in sky, which is called as Ephemeris Data, This is Combined Database which have there Altitude, Latitude, Longitude so the Phone , GPS Device don't have to wait to get Satellites Position from Frequent Satellite Self Position Broadcast by Air
Okay...tried the mode 1, and that blew. I didn't get a damn thing after that. so, here's what my adventure has taken me on today (again, this is a VERIZON 6900):

* Installed Quick GPS - didn't help that I could tell. The whole "isn't accessed, needs a middle man" argument seems to make sense
* Installed GPS Viewer - I let it run forever and although it kept seeing some sats, it bounced all over and never locked
* Put gps mode to 4
* Ran GPS Viewer again and this time got a lock in about 10 minutes. Not speedy at all, and really only hit about 5 sats (after removing battery for 10 seconds)
* Hit the forums again trying to figure this mystery out

The point I'm at, and again, this must just be becuase it's VZW:
* PPST isn't in my device. Even if I found a cab or something of the sort, I suspect running it would cause my unit to implode
* PRI version seems to be big for the Sprint devices..they have 2.something and mine is 1.37. Honestly, I'm not even sure what the PRI is (the shame...), but I know for sprint folks, it was updated via customization in the sprint 3.02 rom, which non-sprint folk are told NEVER LET RUN - YOU WILL BRICK PHONE and the such...
* I have seen suggestions to allow customizations to run in the sprint rom and then flash the rom of your choice, etc...

I've searched these forums 7 ways from sunday and see so many differing opinions, and largely they seem to apply to Sprint (and a few Alltel folks). But even if I assume the instruction is to let the sprint rom run all the way, I'm pretty sure you can't do that on a VZW phone..and just how would I go back anyway?

Last edited by jacksplat; 05-31-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo