View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Customize your StartMenu for PPCKitchen.org's - BuildOS - Tutorial

My Thoughts on this....
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
This site is about sharing the knowledge. I personally think the Borg are an evil race, But I do like their "collective Brain" theory. So I started writing the Customizing a Custom Rom tutorials. I have tested this and it works fine. The folks at the PPCKitchen may not want you messing with it this way, but this will further enhance the kitchen until they add more customizations like this. Heck, I hope I inspire another DLL for BuildOS...(hint...hint) They have the OEMizer, why not the MENUizer? So I feel that I am only enhancing the kitchens usability by showing you how to customize the start menu. If something bad happens, just reinstall the kitchen. No big deal...

A word on my methods of renaming and hooking onto the initflashfiles.dat using an empty OEM and it's initflashfiles.txt. When the kitchen builds a rom, BuildOS uses a SYS specific initflashfiles.dat. It then looks into each OEM 'checked and appends the contents of initflashfiles.txt to the initflashfiles.dat. In this tutorial, you will rename LNK files. This will make it so the SYS rom's initflashfiles.dat and each OEM's initflashfiles.txt won't be able to copy the original file. DON'T WORRY. I've been using this method for a while now and if winmobile can't file a file to copy...it moves to the next entry. If it can't find a directory to create, or you tell it to create a duplicate,...it moves to the next entry. Keeping this in mind, Nothing Bad will happen! If you get the name of a file wrong, it won't copy it. It will do what you tell it to, with error safety nets! By editing something other that what I describe in this tutorial, that is when bad things will happen. Use caution with this tutorial. Print it, and highlight the good stuff in yellow!

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and you use it to customize your PPCGeek'd Device!

Edit: This method also works with the command line kitchen many Chefs are using. You just have to search for the links in your kitchen directory.

Last edited by rstoyguy; 05-29-2008 at 12:15 PM.
This post has been thanked 8 times.