View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 PM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Customize your StartMenu for PPCKitchen.org's - BuildOS - Tutorial

4. Locate and Rename target LNK files in your OEM's
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
Depending on the method you decided on in step #2, do it. If you went with my method, go ahead and extract your OEM's and place them in the USER_OEM folder of the kitchen.
Now let's rename the LNK files. For the sake of uniformity, and functionality, rename your link files by adding a "zz-" using the method that I explained in the initflashfiles.txt section. Why this way? Well, it puts the file at the end of the list on your device, in windows explorer, most won't be able to edit the extension on a .lnk file. It just made sense to me.
Starting at the top of your StartMenu planner, look inside each OEM and find
the *.lnk file. Rename the lnk file to "zz-*.lnk" by adding "zz-" to the name. Check it off your list and write down the name of the file so you will have it when we edit the initflashfiles.txt later. Now do the same steps for all your OEM's that have a LNK placed in the start menu.

5. Locate and Rename target LNK files in your Donor Kitchen

WARNING!
************************************************** *********************************
DO NOT DO ANYTHING INSIDE THE KITCHEN EXCEPT RENAME THE TARGET LNK FILE! ONLY ADD A "zz-"
TO THE BEGINNING OF THE LNK FILE! DO NOT DELETE FILES, ADD FILES, ONLY RENAME LNK FILES.
************************************************** *********************************
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE A SHORTCUT AND EDIT THE INITFLASHFILES.DAT!

First you need to know where your link files are. Here is a guide for the PPCKitchen:

StartMenu .LNK Name.........Location in the Kitchen (Directory and optional original name)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Calculator.lnk.................\SYS\BaseApps\calc. lnk
calendar.lnk.................\SYS\BasaeApps
Contacts.lnk................\SYS\BasaeApps\addrboo k.lnk
Messaging.lnk...............\SYS\BaseApps\tmail.ln k
Notes.lnk.....................\SYS\BaseApps\noteta ke.lnk
tasks.lnk......................\SYS\BaseApps
Record.lnk...................\SYS\BaseApps\voice.l nk
Messaging.lnk...............\SYS\BaseApps\tmail.ln k
Notes.lnk.....................\SYS\BaseApps\noteta ke.lnk
tasks.lnk......................\SYS\BaseApps

Internet Explorer.lnk......\SYS\Browsing\pie.lnk
icon.lnk........................\SYS\Entertainment \gamesico.lnk
Bubble Breaker.lnk..........\SYS\Entertainment\BubbleBrea ker.lnk
Solitaire.lnk...................\SYS\Entertainment \solitaire.lnk

Internet Sharing.lnk........\SYS\INTERNETSHARING\IntShrUI.l nk
Phone.lnk......................\SYS\PhoneRedist\cp rog.lnk

ActiveSync.lnk...............\SYS\Shell\sync.lnk
File Explorer.lnk..............\SYS\Shell\fexplore.lnk
help.lnk.........................\SYS\Shell
search.lnk......................\SYS\Shell

This is pretty standard for WindowsMobile. Using WinRar, open up your kitchen. For the above example I used the kitchen Vogue_WM6.1_GPS_3.02.rar. ONLY RENAME THE LINK FILES YOU WISH TO MANIPULATE! Stick with our standard renaming scheme of adding "zz-" to the LNK filenames. Now close and save Vogue_WM6.1_GPS_3.02.rar. Remember, if you rename help.lnk to zz-help.lnk and omit it from the initflashfiles.txt, it will not get copied to your StartMenu, thus it won't show up!

6. Edit your initfiles.txt from zzz_Start_Menu_OEM
First let's take a look at the base INITFLASHFILES.TXT file we will be starting with:

Code:

;My initflashfiles.txt

;make my dir
Directory("\Windows\start menu\programs"):-Directory("don")

;..\sys\baseapps
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\programs\don"):-File("Calendar.lnk","\Windows\zz-calendar.lnk")
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\programs\don"):-File("Contacts.lnk","\Windows\zz-addrbook.lnk")

;..sys\browsing
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\programs\don"):-File("Internet Explorer.lnk","\Windows\zz-pie.lnk")

;..sys\shell
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\programs\don"):-File("Help.lnk","\Windows\zz-help.lnk")

;End of File
As you see above, there are basically two commands we are interested in:
Directory("\existing_directory\"):- Directory("new_di rectory")
Directory("destination_directory"):-File("destination_filename","source_path+filename" )
In the above example where it says ";Make your directories here:", well ya, it makes your directories. If it already exists, nothing bad will
happen. Always create them unless you are positive they exist in the typical windows directory structure! In the example above the directory "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Don" is created. Using your template you created in step #3, using the cut&paste method, copy the existing line to create your StartMenu's directory structure.

Where it says ";Copy your files here:", this copies your files from their cooked location in \windows to your StartMenu. In the example above I have moved four files that usually crowd up your 'root' directory of the Start Menu. Use the cut&paste method to "copy" your files into the StartMenu. You will need a line for each lnk file you wish to relocaate. You can use the comment line to either make notes to yourself, or to comment out or omit file copy operations.

To create "nested" directories in your StartMenu, create them one at a time.

The following will create \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Utilities\Rarely Used :
Code:
;make my dir
Directory("\Windows\start menu\programs"):-Directory("Utilities")
Directory("\Windows\start menu\programs\utilities"):-Directory("Rarely Used")
Note1: in the above code sample, the comment ";" directory locations are from the kitchen I use. I inserted those comments so if I de-complile a new rom, or on a new build, I can easily find the base LNK files that I need to rename.
Note2: Notice how in the first portion of the above command case doesn't matter. In the second part, when creating the actual directory, uppercase/lowercase do matter!

Tip1: Any line beginning with a ";" is ignored as a comment.
Tip2: If you rename for example Help.lnk to zz-Help.lnk and do not copy it, it will not show up in the Start Menu!
Tip3: The above example is the actual initflashfiles.txt from the zz_StartMenu_OEM you downloaded (when first published).
Tip4: This method also works on a de-constructed rom!

7. Flash!
Press Play and FLASH!

8. Test placement, Goto step 3 if necessary
Browse your StartMenu and look for any needed changes you would like to make. If there are changes, back to step #3. Repeat until DONE!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 06-01-2008 at 06:40 PM.
This post has been thanked 9 times.