View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM
luv2chill
Retired Staff

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
I say step even further back than 1.1. Let us start with the helmi 3.3 kitchen and completely re-create AKU 3.5, fully documenting every change made along the way. This way we have a complete "cookbook" (sorry) for how that kitchen was created, which folders are affected by which hacks/fixes, and a more standardized process for implementing said hacks/fixes.

For one (and I've said this before), I strongly suggest that nothing goes into/out of the OS and LOC folders unless it won't work as an OEM package. By doing this we make the changes much easier to manage for everyone and easier to keep track of (because they're in one place). If one of our fixes turns out to cause problems down the line it is easy to just remove that folder from OEM as opposed to having to hunt down individual files/modules inside OS or LOC and trying to replace them from an old kitchen. It just makes for a cleaner kitchen (sorry again).

There may very well be some fixes that must go in OS/LOC because they won't work properly in OEM or would take up much too much space otherwise. In those cases so long as we all agree that they're necessary for the base kitchen and are thoroughly tested they can go into OS/LOC.

Anyway those are just some thoughts. Call me an idealist (it's true), but even if it means a bit more work, I think we should truly start from the beginning and properly implement and document each and every change we make to get it to the proper 3.5 base kitchen. Then that info can go into the wiki for all to see.