View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 AM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Customizing Your Rom: Adding Personal Files & Other Stuff - Tutorial

About
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=-
This tutorial will show you how to add files personal files to your cooked rom. No, not just files, I MEAN YOUR FILES! Documents, templates, ringers, your UltimateLaunch.ini customization file, password files, sounds, fonts, etc... A list of possible uses is at the end of post #2.
But yea, what ever you want, to where ever you want!

A little preparation now, can save you a lot of time later.

This tutorial ASSUMES you have working knowledge of cooking your own rom. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU OR YOUR DEVICE by reading this tutorial! This tutorial should work with most windows-mobile based kitchens, Apache, Titan, Vogue and others.

Credits
I would like to thank PPCGeeks and all those that made the kitchens possible! You all know who they (you) are!

Terminology used in this tutorial:
OEM - Similar to a .CAB file, this is the method used to add files/programs to a cooked Rom. This is copied to USER_OEM if using the ppckitchen, or into your OEM folder if you are using another kitchen.
INITFLASHFILES.TXT - This is the text file you will edit to copy your files on your device from \windows to \whereever.
GUID - GUID (or UUID) is an acronym for 'Globally Unique Identifier'. It is a 128-bit integer number used to identify resources.

The steps involved:
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
This tutorial will teach you how to add files to your cooked rom. I will show you how to add files to the attached "empty OEM", and then edit the initflashfiles.txt file that will copy your files to where you want 'em.

So here are the steps:
1. Download and extract "zzz_My_Files_OEM.zip"
2. Copy your files to the new directory "zzz_My_Files_OEM".
3. Rename your files. example.txt --> zzz-example.txt (Why later)
4. Edit your "initflashfiles.txt" to create directories and copy files.
5. Copy "zzz_My_Files_OEM" to your USER_OEM or OEM folder(s).
6. Flash and enjoy!

1. Download and extract "zzz_My_Files_OEM.zip"
Ok, who needs help with this one? Be sure to extract with paths!

2. Copy your files to the new directory "zzz_My_Files_OEM".
Just copy the files you want into the zzz_My_Files_OEM directory.
I have already created a custom OEM for you with a unique GUID, a sample initflashfiles.txt, and included a XML file so the ppckitchen will identify your OEM.

3. Rename your files.
To avoid conflicts with other file names that may be in other OEM's, rename your files by adding a "zzz-" to the begining of the name. "MyRinger.mp3" should be renamed to "zzz-MyRinger.mp3" Note, this does two things for ya...
a) Keeps those files at the end of the list when viewing \windows with your file explorer.
b) You won't try to edit that read-only file in \windows named "zzz-storedata.xls", instead you will edit "\My Documents\storedata.xls".
You don't have to do this renaming bit, but it will make life easier...And you can use something else too. Like I could use my initials "DCM-", but I prefer the \windows junk to the end of the list in my file explorer...
Attached Files
File Type: zip zzz_My_Files_OEM.zip (168.9 KB, 402 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 05-24-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Renamed my files to "zzz-" in attachment... :)
This post has been thanked 14 times.