View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Nickles
Halfway to VIP Status

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software

I have TomTom6, GarminXT, iGuidance4, iGo2006 and iGoi8 all on my device, all working.. i always seem to drift to iGo2006.
reason is -> great looking 3d mapping. REAL TIME ON SCREEN POI. POI's simply appear on your map route, and a simple click brings up a tiny window with the name and number of the POI all without ever going off route- and you can dial that number right then and there on screen...
that is a simple feature that is SORELY lacking in the others, even in iGo's latest release - iGo8.
I think TomTom is the worst.. crazy to operate, and just plain ugly.

iGuidance and iGo8 are the only 2 that have real TTS capability (where the voice actually announces the street names).. i WOULD be using iGo8 exclusively, but it's an absolute memory pig, and it crashed time and time again, when in 3D mode with TTS voice turned on... shame ....... i think they need another build to perfect that .. (it's only been released a couple weeks)..
iGuidance was my app of choice, until i saw iGo2006.. i just really like the usability, and graphics .. also a big plus with iGo, unlike that of TomTom, Garmin OR iGuidance, is you are free to only load the maps you wish to use.. meaning, you can get away with a complete GPS solution for your state for around 40MB or so.. better than a 1.2GB real estate with the others..
Granted, you can't map from AZ to PA, if you don't have the states in between right ?
well kind of - iGo has a 'Major US Roads and Highways' map, that you can load up, to do all the connecting navigation between all the states.

i highly recommend iGo2006.. of course if your like me and have a severe obsession and OCD with GPS you won't be able to stop until you've tried them all.
my next mission was actually Destinator v7, but i couldn't find any US maps.. so i gave up.............for now......

Last edited by Nickles; 05-14-2008 at 03:01 AM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.