View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
andsoitgoes
PPCGeeks Regular

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Titan - Memory, Browser.. FRUSTRATION

Okay - So I moved to a WM device away from the closed Sidekick, I couldn't wait - I enjoyed my PPC, and the combo device sounded perfect. From the start, though, I realized that this wasn't a match made in heaven.

The kick had integrated, always on push email and chat, which was the most important thing for me. I found ways around it on my phone and was feeling pretty good. Flexmail took care of the push email, Palringo was a decent chat client.

The problem started early after I got these. I'd check my phone after an hour or so, I had PIE, Flexmail and Palringo running, I'd do some browsing and wonder "Hmm, why don't I see any email?" and I'd check, Palringo and Flexmail were closed. I'd reopen them, and it'd be fine for a little while. Then they would close again.

I found this happening quite regularly, when I was browsing. It was obvious PIE was using up too many resources and, without even asking, WM decided it would do away with my background programs.

I hear people here who have tons of available memory, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the only stuff I ALWAYS have open is:

- Flexmail (2.4 megs max)
- Palringo (256k max)
- PIE, Opera or Opera Mini (?!?!?!)
- SPB Pocket Plus v4.0.2

NOTE - I am running DCD 3.0.4 Telus rom, as well.

I have tried PIE, Opera and Opera Mini, and they all seem to screw me over the same way. IE will bloat to 10+ megs for no apparent reason. Opera is okay, but it doesn't seem to be a vast improvement. Opera mini is fun, but it's pointless - I have no access to anything else while it is running. Heaven forbid I want to multitask, I have to exit my browser.

I'm half tempted to throw this thing into the water. I LOVE the phone, but these stupid little problems are getting on my nerves.

I went through and installed Oxios which never gives me much of anything. I just used it with Palringo and Opera running, it turfed Opera Mobile and left palringo open, saved me 7 megs... which is what Opera was using.

Why is this so hard? What am I doing wrong? How the hell am I supposed to work with this? I found an email program that works, but yet it uses just over 2 megs of memory which SHOULD be enough - but of course it isn't.

Help, please? I want to have lots of love for this phone, rather than unending frustration.

Nick