View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 AM
jbonilla
PPCGeeks Regular

jbonilla is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I agree with what Sogarth and Jayz11. A rom kitchen application like what is shown in the link would be great.

When the first Helmi 3.3 came out, I flashed my phone and used it and could have been happy using that until I upgraded to my next phone. Then Colonel and Yuma and ImCokeMan started with their custom roms and used the knowledge that Mike learned on on his custom 2.2 rom to show how the remaining space on the rom could be used to add additional programs that would in the end result in more storage space due to programs not having to be installed there. That's what got me interested in creating my own rom -- not that any of the custom roms were bad (far from it), but that I had interest in additional programs that others may not have wanted and went above the scope of the custom rom authors to add just for me. For me, the kitchen roms and OEMs are a godsend. One of my frustrations is running out of storage memory and having to install things to the storage card and risk DSOD's. You can only get so much from UPXing programs so the custom roms in effect give me back that storage memory and allow me to get so much more out of the phone.

My basic feelings are this: until we are able to get something like is shown in the link, we need a basic vanilla rom kitchen for AKU 3.3 or 3.5 that incorporates all the known fixes. I think this is important to keep the confusion down and keep everyone from getting posts about why this or that doesn't work because they're using an old version of the kitchen. Right now I think there's 4 or 5 different versions of the AKU 3.5 kitchen. If everyone can work from the same baseline for whatever AKU they want to run (not that this isn't happening now), I think things would be much smoother during the debugging process or when someone gets stuck and needs help. It'd also be great to have an accompanying rom that's already built to match the kitchen for those who have no desire to customize their own rom and just want to download and flash. So maybe one kitchen and one pre-built flashable rom for each AKU. A variant may be an alternate rom with the crossbow themes/sounds. I personally think this should be a kitchen OEM item, but not everyone who wants the crossbow theme/sounds will be building their own rom. Tough call there.

As far as the OEM's go, beggars can't be choosers, and if an OEM for a program I use has been kindly uploaded by someone, I'll use it with much thanks to the one who created it (thanks to Colonel, Sogarth, schettj, finster869, signal34, bushrod, ImCokeMan and anyone else I missed for what's already there!). If it doesn't, then I install the program like I did before the whole custom ROM thing came about. If someone does come up with something new, hopefully they share with everyone so everyone can take advantage of it. But I certainly don't feel I'm entitled to anything or that anyone should figure out how to get a program into an OEM just because I use it and I want it, which seemed to be the gist of the other thread. If someone wants to share it, I'll gladly take it.

I think there's still a place for the custom roms assuming Mike has enough FTP space and bandwidth for them. There will always be those who want something more than the vanilla kitchen rom but don't have the desire to fully customize one themselves (as evidenced by Colonel's 87+ page long custom rom thread). If Colonel, Yuma, Saridnour and others want to continue to make these and release them, I think it'd be great. I think it makes the community that much better. This is what is (was) going on at XDA and seems to have worked well. At some point those users may become so enthusiastic with their upgraded device on the custom rom that they'll make custom roms of their own and the community will be even better.

One thing I think that could be improved is standardizing the way info about kitchens, OEM's and custom roms are posted. Without having to created sub-forums for each item, maybe we can standardize the first few words of the subject line for these items so everything's easier to find (i.e. Custom ROM - Colonel 3.5 Beta 3, Kitchen OEM - Memmaid, Kitchen AKU - 3.5 v3 by ImCokeMan, etc.). Just something easier so we can group everything together and easily at a glance separate it from the non-custom ROM/kitchen posts that have gotten drowned by the recent AKU developments. It'd also be nice to have a small note in the archive for each Kitchen or custom rom with information on what's been changed since the last one or what programs have been included and a link to the thread. This is comes in handy when downloading from the FTP site where you may not have the thread immediately handy and are wondering what's new with so and so. The compilation thread by konceptz has been a great help with this already but I do keep some of this stuff on my hard drive (paranoid about MS coming knocking here too) and it is kind of a pain to have to go back through the forum to figure out what is what.

Okay, I ended up writing a lot more than I thought I would. Sorry Sogarth if this got a little off-topic -- these are just my opinions and take them for what you will. Even if nothing else happens, the developments over the past few weeks have made my device so much more enjoyable and anything from this point on is icing on the cake. I can't close without a big thanks to Mike, helmi_c, ImCokeMan, schettj, Colonel and everyone else who has contributed to what has become a very exciting time for the 6700. Words can't express my gratitude to you all!