View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM
elephant007
domo arigato mr roboto

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation VISTA: How to use the 700wx as a Bluetooth Modem

I was able to connect my 700wx via Bluetooth to Vista Ultimate on my Dell Laptop, I was never able to use Bluetooth DUN though I kept getting an error indicating that the "remote computer was not responding" after doing some research I was able to come up with away to not only connect the 700wx to my laptop I was also able to use it as a bluetooth modem. I hope the following steps are concise and I believe the steps will work for any Bluetooth adapter (internal or usb dongle) and on any flavor of Microsoft Vista.

1. Download the latest Bluesoleil from http://www.bluesoleil.com/download
2. Click on the Windows button which is essentially Start
3. Go to Device Manager, I accomplish this by pressing WindowsKey+R and typing in DEVMGMT.MSC
4. Locate your existing Bluetooth device, click on the + sign and double click on the Bluetooth device (or you can right click on the device and left click PROPERTIES)
5. Click on the DETAILS tab and change PROPERTY drop down to HARDWARE ID, right click and COPY the line that looks similar to this
USB\VID_413C&PID_8126
of course your VID and PID may not be the same as my example.
6. Open up your ADD/REMOVE programs, in Vista it's in the Control Panel and called PROGRAMS AND FEATURES (quick tip, you can open it by pressing WindowsKey+R and typing in APPWIZ.CPL
7. Remove ANY Bluetooth associated programs (do not reboot)
8. Remove ANY Bluetooth device from your Device Manager (do not reboot)
9. Unzip and install BlueSoleil. I installed version 5.0.5.178 (do not reboot)
10. Now comes the fun part! Pay close attention, read and re-read.
11. Browse your computer to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\driver\usb in that directory you will find a file named btcusb double click that file and it will open in notepad
12. Either use the FIND feature in notepad or scroll down looking for the entry titled [ControlFlags] and add the following line of code making sure to add the PID and VID that you copied from your device manager
Code:

ExcludeFromSelect= USB\VID_413C&PID_8126

13. Use Find again or scroll down until you locate [IVT] and add the following code making sure to use your specific device and not my example
Code:

%DELL.DeviceDesc%=Btusb_DDI, USB\VID_413C&PID_8126

I kept my at the top of the list so it's easier to find if you install the drive manually
14. Save the file you just edited ensuring you keep the same file name, overwrite if needed.
15. Now browse to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil double click on bttl
16. Under the title [DEFAULT] change NUM=111 to NUM=112 or which ever number it shows to the next sequence number, if it shows NUM=89 change it to NUM=90
17. Use find or scroll down to the original NUM=111, if the original entry is NUM=111 you will FIND or SCROLL DOWN to [HW111] add a new line after the entry
18. Add a new entry like the following code, again ensure that you use your own information (Tip: I made up my own name for the TYPE and MANUFACTURE)
Code:

[HW112]
ID=USB\VID_413C&PID_8126
Type=Dell 355
DLL=Driver\USB\btcusb.dll
DLLD=Driver\USB\btcusb.dll
Inffile=Driver\USB\btcusb.inf
Manufacture=Dell

Again, make sure you put the VID and PID associated with your Bluetooth Device.
19. Save and close the file making sure you keep the name the same.
20. NOW REBOOT
21. After your computer comes back up, it will say that there's new hardware found, make sure you select BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE
22. Browse to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\driver\usb click OK and Next. Doing this will locate the drive that you edited and allow you to use BlueSoleil as your Bluetooth Manager
23. Make your Treo ready to be discovered and use BlueSoleil Bluetooth Manager to find your Treo and pair the device to your laptop or computer
24. After BlueSoleil connects to your laptop, double click your Treo in the Bluetooth Manager and search for the services available
25. Create your Bluetooth DUN, when it appears use the following information (for Sprint users)
Code:

USERNAME: user PASSWORD: user PHONE: #777

26. Click on the PROPERTIES button and click on the SECURITY tab and make sure that TYPICAL (RECOMMENDED SETTING) is selected and under VERIFY MY IDENTITY AS FOLLOWS is ALLOW UNSECURED PASSWORD
27. Click APPLY and OK (yeah I'm old school)
28. Test your connection
29. If all goes well you will now be connected to the internet!!!! That just goes to show that not all bluetooth stacks are created equally.
This post has been thanked 1 times.