View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Darkflame808
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: An safer alternative way to get Rev-A/GPS

The GPS test rom was well basically.............................A Gps test rom lol. It was an attempt to get gps working and it did. Since then a lot of people have made custom roms.

You'll want to look into using astrogps or some type of program to prime your gps.

I've had great results using astrogps. It doesn't matter what type of rom i've used. They all pretty much worked with astrogps.

You'll get stories about how some took 10 minute to lock, then they tried another rom and it only took 2 minute to lock.

Then the whole world goes Oooooooh! and they all jump on ship...Then tomorrow you get 25 new threads about how last night it took two minutes, today it's taking forever again.

Then someone posts "I used to have two minute locks now it takes forever but then I tried this rom and I got two minute locks again!" Ooooooooooh! then everyone jumps on ship and tries another rom etc.

GPS is GPS. You have cold starts, warm starts and hot starts.

My GPS logger in my motorcycle is the same. If I turn it off and leave it to cool down then power it up again, sometimes it finds a lock in a minute...sometimes two....sometimes if never finds a lock unless I turn it off and turn it on again. In which case it'll lock in within 30 seconds.

Every tom you test is gonna pretty much be the same in terms of GPS. This because whatever was done to the radio to activate the gps was done when you upgraded the alltel rom and unlocked the CDMA gps portion.

Everything else is left to implementation via the OS. Some GPS roms set some regedits, some borrow from others etc....there's only so much you can do really.

When it comes to roms. Go for the look and feel. The GPS stuff as long as it's embedded within the rom should be able to be tweaked with time and patience.

Don't get cought up in the whole AGPS hopes and dreams. Just and use it like a GPS was designed to be used and start off with a clear view of the sky.

Good luck!
This post has been thanked 2 times.