View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS & standby mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post
I am running currently some tests regarding not getting a GPS Lock after phone enters Standby mode or restarting a GPS program later in the day.

To get a GPS lock again reload the GPSID_QCT.dll. You can do this by using DOT Fred's Task manager, under Devices tab, and the device name is called GPD0.

If you are using GPS Intermediate Driver as a Com port, then there is no need to set GPS Program port to Com 4, mine is currently disabled and GPS works fine.

Edited:

1. Using Garmin Mobile XT, and placing the phone into Standby mode, for less then a minute and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second and then Got a GPS Lock.

2. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device and, then Got a GPS Lock.

3. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device, and will not find a GPS device. Reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll while the program is running will cause the the phone to soft reset.

4. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll, while the program is running. After enabling the GPS port the program gets a GPS lock.

5. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then enabling it does not change the outcome.

Conclusion:

It seems that if GPS driver gets turned off, or is suspended for any other reason the GPS driver fails to enable itself, unless you reload it manually or do a soft reset.
I've had similiar observations and would like to add just one thing. If for whatever reason, the GPS drivers fails to enable itself, try simply killing all gps apps, and hit the top power button to go into standby. Hit the power button again, and try your gps app. That makes mine come back. I am of the opinion that what standyby kills, standby also fixes