View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
mardukeme
Regular 'Geeker

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Updated GPS Drivers (Possible Fix For Standby Issues)

I am running currently some tests regarding not getting a GPS Lock after phone enters Standby mode or restarting a GPS program later in the day.

To get a GPS lock again reload the GPSID_QCT.dll. You can do this by using DOT Fred's Task manager, under Devices tab, and the device name is called GPD0.

If you are using GPS Intermediate Driver as a Com port, then there is no need to set GPS Program port to Com 4, mine is currently disabled and GPS works fine.

1. Using Garmin Mobile XT, and placing the phone into Standby mode, for less then a minute and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second and then Got a GPS Lock.

2. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device and, then Got a GPS Lock.

3. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device, and will not find a GPS device. Reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll while the program is running will cause the the phone to soft reset.

4. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll, while the program is running. After enabling the GPS port the program gets a GPS lock.

5. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then enabling it does not change the outcome.

I also want to add that once the GPS driver GPSID_QCT.dll fails Virser_gps.dll fails *** well when I try to reload it i get an error. If GPS driver does not fail I can reload virser_gps fine. Not sure but virser might be responsible for reinitializing the GPS driver.
Conclusion:

It seems that if GPS driver gets turned off, or is suspended for any other reason the GPS driver fails to enable itself, unless you reload it manually or do a soft reset.

I have uploaded different set of GPS drivers.

Install by unzipping and coping files to c:\windows folder.
You will need to manually start the GPS drivers, and service. Depending on the program you are using you will still have to prime the GPS device first.

I would like to thank hgray for his work.

hgray's has created a program that will enable the GPS drivers, and services on each soft reset, the program is called GPS Kick Start program. If you have not manually installed the dll's you can install his cab file, which has all the GPS drivers, and the Kickstart program combined. These files can be found here. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25027

Update:

I have updated the drivers today as well.

I have as well attached hgrays GPSKickStart program as well since a few people were having issues regarding loading the device drivers, and service.

Install:

Method 1 (manual install)

Download Vogue GPS Drivers.zip, and extract the zipped files to your c:\windows directory. Now download hgrays_GPSKickStart_EXE.zip extract the zipped file to c:\windows\startup folder.

Method 2 (automatic install)

Download GPSKickStart_&_GPS_drivers_cab.zip, and run it. It will install all the drivers, and install GPSKickStart.

GPSKickStart
is for people who can not run unsigned drivers at device boot, it will allow unsigned drivers to auto start during boot up. GPSKickStart and the GPS dll's are not carrier specific, they will work with all carriers.

I guess there is a little confusion regarding hgray's GPSKickstart. There is a manual procedure you can do to remove Security (which some folks do not want to use or can not). Step 6 in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24925 is the procedure. But this procedure may or may not be done on a Custom ROM you used. The instructions were orginally for a Stock Altell ROM, because there was no 1-2-3 method in use for the vogue. If you choose a ROM that does not have this done and you choose to not do it then you have to start DLL's manually OR use GPSKickstart.

Last edited by mardukeme; 05-07-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Updated New Drivers
This post has been thanked 20 times.