View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
rainfreak
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
My Mogul is One Tough S.O.B.

Just wanted to share what happened to me today...

So I was driving to work this morning, running late, and trying to make up for lost time. It was a nice day so I had my windows open about halfway in my wife's mini-van. As I was taking a curve in the road, at about 45 mph, I watch in horror as my Mogul pops itself out of the little dashboard niche and slides right across the dashboard, right across the top of the steering wheel, and right out the window. I turned to watch it hit the road and it didn't look good. Not even in the least.

Panic insued. What had I done? My prized phone was destroyed. I had lost everything. All my hard work was gone. I had just gotten it the way I wanted it. Custom rom and all the software working perfectly together. Damn me for not being more careful. Damn me for not getting a recent backup. Damn me straight to Hell.

So I pull into the very next driveway and run back on foot. Not walk, run. There I was with my 6'3" and 250 pound self running to my poor Mogul. There it lay on the side of the road, keyboard out, battery on the ground next to it. I picked it up and saw very litttle incidental damage to the case, in one corner, and for a moment my hopes were raised. Then I looked at the battery and saw a big dent in the corner. Not good for those batteries, but hey, why not try it? So I popped the battery in and powered it up.

To my shock, it worked. The screen wasn't scratched at all. Not even a little one. I opened a new email and typed every character on the sweet little keyboard and they all worked. Even the function and caps lock buttons worked. I made a call and it worked. I asked the person at my office to call me back and it worked. Seconds later I got a new email from my exchange server through push mail. I tried GPS and it worked. It all worked. And yes I checked all this on the side of a busy road. I had to know.

So I got back in my wife's cursed mini-van and went to work. True my battery is badly dented and I need a new one. True my battery cover is gone, because I couldn't find it anywhere on the side of the road (they are so thin I think it took flight like a paper airplane). But my sexy little Mogul is still plugging away. So I am going to buy a new battery and a new battery cover and call it a day. If it starts acting up later I can always claim it under insurance. But for now, it is all working.

I got lucky. I learned a lesson. And now I have a complete backup and will be more careful with my Mogul, especially in my wife's demon possessed mini-van.