View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 AM
auto_exec
PPCGeeks Regular

auto_exec is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Call Tones

Actually, nevermind. I figured this out on my own, no need to install anything. Here's what I did:

First step: Change your user agent.

**NOTE: I've added an attachment .zip file containing a reg key of mine before and after (using latest stock Sprint ROM). I assume any other Mogul's would be the same. Should save you some typing.

1) Browse to: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/5.0
Here you'll want to back up (export) the entire "User Agent" key.

2) Browse to: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/5.0/User Agent
Change the below keys to appear as listed:

Desc=Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0
Platform=Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0
UA-Language=Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0

Second half: Set up proxy connection, get to page, make a bookmark.
1) Go to Start->Settings->Connections->Advanced->Select Networks->New.
2) In the General tab, I gave it the name "Calltones" (doesn't really matter).
3) Go to the Proxy Settings tab, check "this network connects to the internet" and "this network uses a proxy server". Set proxy server to 68.28.31.33.
4) In the Modem tab, hit "New" and set it up as:

"Enter a Name:" Calltone
"Select a modem:" Cellular line

Hit next... for the number, use #777. Hit next. Leave the username/pass/domain blank, hit Finish.

4) Still in the Modem tab, click and hold the new "Calltone" setup you just created. Hit Connect. A username prompt will come up, just leave everything blank and hit "OK".
5) WITHOUT leaving the connection settings screen, start up PIE or Opera (or whatever browser you're using) and go to vision.sprintpcs.com. In the search box, type "Call tones" and hit search. My first result is simply "Call tones". Click on that. Once the page loads, add a bookmark.
6) Here you should be able to restore the registry key you backed up earlier, so that your user agent goes back to normal. Going forward, you should not need the registry settings or proxy. You can restore the registry key you saved off earlier and continue to use the bookmark you made. I believe the phone will auto-default you back to your normal "Sprint" connection, so I don't think you'll really need to delete the "Calltones" setup.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, it seems to be working fine for me so far. I added a "Freebie" call tone to my line for one specific number... the bookmark looks like it may expire eventually (some kind of session id on it, I think), but I'm not sure. I've only been using it for about an hour, it's still working with all other settings reverted.

Hope that helps!

Update #1 - many hours later, my bookmark is still working... I did get a "your session has expired" error, but was able to continue accessing by simply browsing to the bookmark again. Also, after trying to add a premium (paid) call tone, I got a message like "your playlist is empty" or something.. however, by going back to the first page (bookmark) and going to "My Call Tones", I was able to see the new call tone listed and assign a number to it. Not sure whether or not this $2.50 will show up on the bill or not... it'll be interesting to see.

Update #2 - I just found the following on my line under "Change Plan Add-ons": "Active CallTones in FunDial Included"
Attached Files
File Type: zip User Agents.zip (838 Bytes, 67 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by auto_exec; 04-16-2008 at 01:47 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.