View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
bb2ppc
PPCGeeks Regular

bb2ppc is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bb2ppc
Re: Is there a tutorial for installing WM6.1?

Not that I know of but you can copy this from WM6. I do not take credit for the rightup.

Tutorial to upgrade your ROM to WM6 (pt.1)

Many people have requested a tutorial on how to upgrade or flash a new ROM. This is my best effort to create a “how to“. I am not a web developer or a windows mobile guru of any kind so there may be mistakes. Use this at your own risk. If you have questions do a search or post them in this thread and someone will attempt to help you. If I am wrong on any of this documentation, don’t worry someone will point it out and I will be glad to edit my post.

Edit: This is for Apache 6700 phones only.

The first thing you need to do is to setup. You will need to do or have the following items before you flash your ROM. Some are common sense things but I will list them anyway.

1. A computer running Windows XP or Windows Vista. I run XP so I don’t know how to instruct those of you running Vista, but there is plenty of reference to it in the forums. Make sure that your computer has an open USB port. I wouldn’t try flashing with your USB cable attached to a USB hub. No technical reason that I can give you, I just wouldn’t do it personally.
2. Active sync version 4.5. No other version will work for this process. It can be downloaded here as a free download.
3. A mini USB cable. One end should fit in the USB port on your PC and one end in the mini USB on your PPC.
4. Check for your boot loader version. To do this you simply Press the power button, the record button and the reset button at the same time. (Screenshot )You will notice that the screen gets dark. If you take a small light or flashlight and look at the screen you will be able to see the word USB at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the screen you will see the version number. Example: 2.02, 1.02, 2.04 or 1.04. You will need to make a note of which version you have so that you can select it during the build process. To exit boot loader hit the reset button only.
5. Download the latest version of the kitchen found here.
6. Download the OEM folder call PPcgeeks_OEM.rar from the same post as above and leave it in the rar format. Place this file in the root folder where you stored your kitchen. If you did not change the default location for the kitchen when you downloaded it then it should be C:\Buildos.
You should now have the setup portion complete. The next post will be for the actual selection of items to burn into your ROM.

After you have downloaded the kitchen and placed the rar file in the correct folder you are ready to start “cooking”. Just click on the icon that looks like a chef. This will start the kitchen program. When you start the kitchen for the first time you may get an error because you have not selected the carrier. This in normal. You will select it in one of the steps below. (Screenshot)
Follow these steps:
1. Select you boot loader in the dropdown menu marked RUU on the top bar. If you have 1.02 or 2.02 select Standard. If you have 1.04 or 2.04 select X.04+. If you find that you get an error later then come back here and select NoID.
2. Select you carrier in the carrier dropdown menu.
3. Select the items you would like to place into you ROM, meaning programs, games, etc… that you want on your PPC. You can select a section tab in the left hand pane to go to that particular section or you can start on the right pane making selections and work your way down the screen. Be sure to select your carrier again under the module called Carrier Customize. The sections with a circle selector mean one of the items in that section must be selected. If it has a square box selector, these are optional. Don’t worry this will make sense later. Be careful not to select too many programs or you will get an error when you build. You can start with a few items and then add later to figure out how much you can stuff in. I recommend starting small just to get the feel of the process. If you are not sure what one of the programs are you can select the item and right click with you mouse. Go to visit homepage or OEM info and out will find the program information.
Edit: If you chose to do so you can use the default selections. They are loaded for you when you start the kitchen. They are saved in the C:\buildos folder as Apache_Helmi_WM6 Selections. All you would need to do is select your RUU, Carrier in dropdown and carrier in the Carrier Customize section. If you choose to make your own selections, after making all you selections use the file tab located in the top left corner and navigate to Save as. Save your file using whatever name you like. This will preserve the Apache_Helmi_WM6 Selections default settings and also give you your own base selections to work from.
4. Once you have selected all your items click on the green arrow in the top left of the kitchen. This will start the build process. You will see the build process in a separate screen called build status. Don’t do anything while this process is working. It will take a couple of minutes. If you have made too many selections you will get an error similar to this one:
Compiled Size (0x395ffc0) greater than Max Rom Size (0x38e5800).
Just close it out and remove some selections. Then start the same process again by clicking the green arrow. Once the build process is complete you can simply follow the onscreen prompts.
5. The update utility will start. At this point place your phone into boot loader mode and plug your USB cable to the computer and phone. Edit: Don't worry about the instructions that say to reset your phone, just hit next. Once you hit next your phone will be found. Just click update and wait. Do not unhook you phone during the process. You will see another screen with a progress bar as the ROM is flashed. After the process reaches 100% you will be notified that the process is complete. When it says to do so, unhook your phone and perform a hard reset. This is done by holding down the 2 soft keys(located above the Send/End keys on the front of your PPC) and pressing the reset at the same time. A white screen will come up asking to confirm reset. Open your keyboard and hit the Y key. Than hit the spacebar. Your phone will reboot. Do your screen alignment and other items as prompted and you are set. At this point you should have your phone upgraded.
As you can see the process is pretty easy. You can repeat the same process to “tweak” your phone with whatever you want to have on it. As stated earlier this thread will be updated with any corrections the moderators or senior members point out. Moderators feel free to edit this post as you see fit. This is a very basic tutorial but I hope it helps some of you.

If you want to save your selections for a later build select file in the top left corner ans click save as. I usually use the date I cooked the ROM, example 122907, as my save file so that it references the date I cooked it. I also recommend looking into the OEMizer by tierman so you can save your personal settings and they are cooked into you ROM for you so that you don't have to re-enter it every time you hard reset. This is very handy especially for email settings.
This post has been thanked 3 times.