View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 AM
gTen
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Epic 4g on Boost Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
I hate getting in to this topic, because there is no definitive answer. The esn laws from 10+ years ago have been removed/repealed. Meaning they're no longer in effect. Here's a good discussion on it, although again, comes to no conclusion.

cdmagurus.com/forum-essentials/free-all/2466-esn-cloning-illegal.html#axzz25woflPj2

Sent from my SPH-D710 using PPCGeeks
The thing is, unless the FCC says it is so or the courts issue an official ruling it is hard to know definite. We can all be lawyers and experts on this issue but generally it is always better to be safe then sorry.

As it stands the FCC says this:

Cell Phone Fraud | FCC.gov

Quote:
Cellular fraud is defined as the unauthorized use, tampering or manipulation of a cellular phone or service. At one time, cloning of cellular phones accounted for a large portion of cell fraud. As a result, the Wireless Telephone Protection Act of 1998 expanded prior law to criminalize the use, possession, manufacture or sale of cloning hardware or software.
Now that thread you linked mentioned some outdated content on fcc site, but the post was in 2010 and fcc said they would modify it and yet that part stayed.

Though I don't understand why the guy who contacted the FCC did not bother asking them about a definite answer :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)