View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 PM
meccadon123
Regular 'Geeker

meccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my 1st GSIII was defective(phone HOT while off)

Just an FYI,

My 1st sprint GSIII was fine for the 1st month. I could get upto 3 1/2 days of battery with very light usage (mostly standby time). NOt sure what caused what happened next but the phone became extremely warm and the battery life dropped to approx. 2 hours. The phone was very warm even while off for hours!! And it obviously got even hotter while on the charger. The only way to get the phone to return to room temp was to pull the battery and leave it out for a few hours. Turning wifi/data/sync/GPS etc. off did nothing. The odd thing was, the battery was a normal temp. The heat came from the lower part of the phone (where the processor is). It also gave incorrect battery readings. While plugged in it would read "100%" and "charging" the LED stayed red, never turning green. I also could pull the battery and put it right back in and it would read 20-30 % difference VS. when I took it out.
The phone was swapped at a sprint store covered by insurance.

The only thing i did differently usage wise was link the phone to my dropbox account. It seemed to sync normally so i can't confirm dropbox caused the issue. I just can't figure out what the phone was "doing" while it was off. Just thought i'd share the story with the phone. The new 1 is running fine.